Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4550 and toner out, but not really

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksims

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I was definitely running low on the black cartridge. The blue has been almost ready to change for a while now, and then my yellow was ready to be changed. I had a blue on hand and bought a yellow to be safe (as well as a drum kit which was also running below 15% now).

I had a black only text job of 7200 pages. With about 1000 left I changed the black. I printed a status supplies page. All of a sudden my yellow was no longer approaching 0% but was now well over 50% and the blue also showed plenty of life left instead of below 5%.

This change in levels was immediately after changing the black. Coincidence? Did I finally clean something properly? Is the little clear "window" on the top left of the cartridge what I cleaned properly? Which readings do I believe?

It isn't urgent as I have the cartridges on hand. I just don't know what to believe. Oh the confusion.

Thanks.
Nick

Personally I never trust those indicators. Shake the toner and the level below 10% can raise above 50% - while running out of toner minutes later. Cleaning the printer will raise the chances for a correct result.

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
----------------------------------------
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

Thank you for confirming some suspicions I've had. I hadn't tried the shaking yet, but I will now.

As for the quote, who knew that Stalin could provide such an enlightening observation?

Nick

the 4500 and 4550 toner cartridges do not have chips on them the drum does.) So, the toner readings are highly inaccurate. The drum reading should be fairly accurate though.

Donald Broda
Vice President

Thank you again Donald. I am relieved to know that I bought one for good reason after the "drum kit low" warning came on.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back