Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4500g setup with sfp 1000 base x

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwcr

Technical User
Jul 29, 2008
GB
Wondering if anyone can help me i have just got myself a new 4500g 24 port switch which i need to get running with a 3Com® 1000BASE-LX SFP Transceiver. I have plugged this in and logged on to the web based client and enabled port 25/11.

After doing this i still have no lights to tell me this is active.

Can anyone tell me if i have this setup right and also if there is anything else i need to do.

Thanks

Did you read the manual?

I believe all 3Com SFP module port LEDs function the same. If nothing is plugged in you won't have any LED activity. Is the fiber optic patch cord plugged into the SPF? Do you have continuity from the other end?

For a simple test plug in a fiber patch cord so the unit is looped on itself. If all is well, then the LED will lite accordingly.

If you have no experience with fiber optics, it would be to your advantage to learn. There are safety procedures that you should follow when working with fiber optics along with keeping all connections clean.

....JIM....

Remember with fibre you need to cross the cables over so that the transmit port on switch A goes to the receive port on switch B and visa-versa.

-Blue
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them

Do you have the right fibre cables?
There are two types 50/125 µm or 62.5/125 µm

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Hi, I only just read this post and I guess the anomaly has been solved, due to the last posting date.

I assume that you were using SingleMode fiber (i.e. 8.3/125)with the 1000Base-LX (long-wave) SFP transceiver, and you were not intending to use MultiMode fiber (50/125 or 62.5/125) with a 1000Base-SX (short-wave) SFP transceiver ?

(just my .02 worth ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back