Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4500G DHCP Relay Problems/Windows 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquareWorld

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2009
US
I'm setting up a a new 4500G with Voice VLAN. I want my IP Phones to get addresses from my current DHCP server (ease of management etc).

I can't seem to get my DHCP broadcasts to relay from the Voice VLAN into the Data VLAN.

VLAN 1 (Data) = 192.168.16.0
VLAN 2 (Voice) = 192.168.72.0

I've added IP routes to each network. If I statically enter a 72 address into an XP client I can ping/tracert all nodes in the 16 network and vise versa.

Here is what I've programmed into the 3com:
system-view
dhcp enable
interface vlan-interface 2
dhcp select relay
dhcp relay server-group 1 ip 192.168.16.2
#(192.168.16.2 = Windows 2003 DHCP with 192.168.16.0 & 192.168.72.0 scopes.)
interface vlan-interface 2
dhcp relay server-select 1

I put a sniffer on the 72 network and can see a DHCPRequest but no DHCPAck. When I attach the sniffer on the 16 network (I see other clients getting 16 addresses) I don't see my XP/3com box's DHCPRequest.

NOTABLE EXCEPTION: At one time I pointed 3com to my Routing and Remote Access Relay Agent and I saw a DHCPRequest with a 'no-name FF:FF:FF:FF:FF MAC address' - but I could not verify it was submitted by the 3com, nor did my XP client receive an address.

What should I try next?

RELAY PROBLEM SOLVED:
Right after posting, I connected a new XP laptop. The new laptop received the 192.168.72.50 address without a hitch. (No configuration change from that posted above).

Packet sniff shows Relay Agent IP address of 192.168.72.1 (the 3com/gateway's interface for the 72 network) to the DHCP server.

If I were to guess I would say that the PC needs to be freshly rebooted for DHCP request to work. Also I might guess that the 3com can not have a DHCP given address on any interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back