Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4500dn Jobs stay in queue w/ sent to printer status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2003
US
We use an HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 6. Only one user (Win xp) is having the issue, my other xp users are fine, so far. Heh. When the user sends a job to the printer, it prints, but the status in the print que hangs at Sent to printer and then remains in the que FOREVER, (well, until it's manually cancelled, anyway). Then, when the user reboots the PC, ALL the goodies in the que print. Has anyone encountered this before?
Thanks,
Amy

I`d suggest you check that SP1 is installed on that particular Win XP client. As it is only this one client that is affected, the driver or the spool que manager installation might have gotten corrupt. Re-install driver first from scratch. Eventually try and install the driver locally first, printing directly to the IP of printer. If that works OK, try afterwards setting the printer up for network printing via the server.

Yes, we have SP1 on it. So, we contacted HP and HP said we didn't have the most recent driver. We thought that was just silly; we had downloaded the the driver from their site just a few days ago. We went back to the site and instead of typing in the printer model #, we typed in "wizard". After following the wizard, we downloaded that driver. Everything is just peachy now!
Thanks.

Yes, we had this exact same problem. It took me a long time to figure out. But here is what solved the problem for us. I found that several people had the software loaded for the printer but they had the printer shared. So I unshared these. In addition I found that several were printing to those shared ports instead of the correct port. Go to add/remove printers right click go to properties and verify that the port is the correct one and not one of the shared computers. As soon as I did all this it fixed the problem.

Check the default gateway is correct we had the same problem here where some clever IT person in my Dept put the printer's ip address in the default gatweway it does print eventually but take time to get there.. maybe a way round . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back