Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

450 Stops Responding to Ping Periodically, but Always Forwards Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbstractZero

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2003
US
This is weird. Sometimes one of my 450 switches stops responding to ping. While it is unresponsive, I can still ping THROUGH the switch to equipment on the far side. My configuration is:

Me ---- 450a ---- 8600 ---- 450b ---- 450c ---- host

The problem is in 450b. Sometimes pings to it will timeout for a minute or more. During this time, the host at the end can still be reached! Further, even the 8600 switch cannot ping 450b when it is "down." But end-to-end connectivity never stalls.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS????

--Eric

hi,

It's maybe that !

Problems Resolved in This Release
Upgrading to previous code version (4.5.0 ) may cause a slow down in the management of the
units/stacks. This problem could be severe at times and management tools may report units/stacks as
being down. This issue is resolved in 4.5.1 release (Q00956327).

regards

What seems to have solved the ping issues for us is to make sure the bridging forwarding database timers are larger then the arp timeouts on the 8600s with the ISTs. This is required due to the fdb learning over the IST and how and when it arps to find the devices on the SMLTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back