Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4400 RAP (Roving Analysis Port) help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApacheBL

MIS
Nov 20, 2003
US
Hi all,
I've got a 4400, and I am trying to use the RAP (SPAN, mirror, etc.) feature. The problem I am running into is that the port that I send the traffic to, the analysis port, becomes receive only, meaning it can no longer communicate. This is a serious issue because I use a probe on the analysis port, and the probe need to talk to the console. I could use a second NIC, but I don't really have that as an option. Is there any way to make this port bi-directional (capable of sending and receiving data while in analysis mode)????

THANKS!!!

I think there is no chance for a workaround.
Why does your probe need to talk to the console?

3COM says:
"When the roving analysis port is set up, it is disabled from receiving or transmitting any other data. It only transmits data to the network analyzer that it receives from the monitor port. If you have Spanning Tree protocol configured on the roving analysis port, it is automatically disabled, as long as the port is configured for the network analyzer."

Can you add a second NIC to your probe, like a Sniffer Appliance, you have a Monitor card and a Communcation NIC.
R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back