Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

43p-150 "find" on e-bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkat

Technical User
Mar 9, 2002
US
I bought a 43p-150 off e-bay with the claim that it was working! Since it arrived, I cannot get it to boot past error post code "E220", which indicates a memory problem
which is unspecified. I have downloaded the 43p-140/150/240 service guide and followed the rules with the various "maps"
and with the specified minimum configuration, I still ger E220. Is the mainboard bad? any ideas?

tkat,

How many memory modules does the server comes with? Is the memory modules supported by the server? Have you tried removing all the modules from the server, and reinstalled it one at a time with trying to boot up the server on every insertion. Try to repeat this until all the memory modules have been tested. if all fails on the first slot, maybe
1) system planar faulty
2) memory faulty.

good luck.

I have the correct Kingston memory, 2, new good sticks of 256 mb. I tried a minimum configuration per the service guide with only one stick of ram, and I tried moving the single stick around with everything else unplugged. Same
E220 error code, but less post iterations to get there. It
seems like some kind of hard failure.

Hello,
Do you have IBM MEMORY in the system.

No, it was much more expensive than the Kingston KTM43P150256 which is advertised by Kingston (a reputable
and respected name in the industry) to be correct for the 43p150. I even got one of the sticks from an rs6000 remarketer. I know about the selectivity of ibm memory and the difficulty in using other that the factory parts. The only thought I now have is that I might need to put at least the first positon stick in as FRU memory?

Hello,
Try go get IBM memory on E bay.

Kingston says the memory will work. But do they stress test the memory in RS/6000 system, IBM does not test kingston memory in IBM system.

aixat has it...
Kingston and RS/6000 really doesn't work well together.
Even using a mixture of both, the kingston will always get flaky at some point.
In most cases, the failure is memory

For what it's worth I have been using virtually all kingston memory in RS6000's for about as long as Kingston has been offering it. I have never had a single problem at all.
If fact, ALL my production servers are fully populated with Kingston and some even have a mix of original IBM and Additional Kingston. Just my two-cents worth on the issue.

Hello BOBMFDC,
well things work for you. But if you get in trouble with memory who is going to bail you out.

I have built more rs6k than I can rememeber while working for a IBM VAR and we did not in any way guarantee memory that was not an IBM part. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it did not. IBM != open system. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

I take offence when one says IBM!=open system.

Because IBM does excellent job of testing hardware. When it failes it gives you error message and you can also findout what slot(more then one slot for memory) of the memory slot has bad memory and same goes for any hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back