Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4232 losing connectivity to 4006 sup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2003
US
I've got an issue where I have multiple Cat 4006 switches with 4232 blades. The switches run for months with no issue. They begin to the 4232 seems to lose connectivity with the sup via the back-plane.

Our set-up is standardized as such in each of out distribution closets and server farm:

2 4006 Switches, each with the 4232 Layer-3 blade and Sup2's. (4006A and 4006B)
The each 4232 has one gig-link back to our core pair of 6509's.
The 4006's are connected via L2 through the gig port of the supervisors, so 4006A connects to 4006B via Sup1 port G1.

On the 4232 we have 5 to 6 port-channels set-up that hosts the L3 subnets on the 4006's, and we have corresponding VLAN's on the Sups for each port-channel.

One of my 4006s is doing the exact same thing. What was your final fix. We've swapped out everything and still have the issue.

This is the nuts and bolts of the case:

There are several of these switches w/L3 cards (4232) and Sup2 Engines in the network. All of the remote sites, all running cat4000.6-4-6.bin OS and IOS Version 12.0(10)W5(18f), with various HW versions, ranging from 1.5 to 1.7 are all running normally. The switch at the core meets all of the same criteria, yet is experiencing the loss of connectivity to the L3 card. It stops routing, you can't ping any of the IP addresses on the card, you can't session to it, and you can't console to it. We've logged messages to a syslog server and nothing. We've put a PC on the console port of the L3 card and logged messages to Hyperterm, and nothing. We've even built a completely new switch, blade for blade, using a different chassis, sup module, L3 card, and have now experienced the same exact thing.

Cisco TAC case is out there for anyone to review and comment on: E869020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back