Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

421 Service Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

buztwet

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
US
We just started having a problem sending to mainly aol accounts where we are receiving undeliverable receicts with 421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE at the bottom. Not sure where to start on this one. Please advise.

Your connection was dropped after the handshake "EHLO", "MAIL TO:" or "RCPT:"

From observation, Aol tends to shift their internal DNS numbers quite a bit, or down a lot of mail servers from time to time. Your own DNS servers may not have cache up in time. This causes your mail to hit the wrong Aol mail server box, and get the 421 code.

There's not much you can do about it. You can try using AOL's DNS numbers for a try. Or someone out there find a way around this.

I spoke with a rep at aol and she let me know that I did not have a reverse dns set. Hopefully fixing this should fix the aol problem. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back