Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4100TN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannanl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have a 4100TN that I have 3 trays on. Tray 1 is the pull out tray (not used), 2 and 3 are optional 500 page trays. I have labels loaded in #2 and plain paper in #3. I want to set up the printers (networked) so that a printer object called "labels" is what the user selects for labels and "plain" is what they select for plain. I have actually installed and set up the two different printer objects pointing to the same i.p. and everything works fine except that no matter what I print, it prints to tray 3. How can I make the "labels" printer print to tray #2 by default and the "plain" printer print to tray #3 by default?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shannan

In your paper handling menu, there are settings for Paper type for trays 2 and 3. I don't believe there is a setting for labels, buy you could set one to like plain, and the other to letterhead or just something different. Then, when you print, you tell the driver to print it as letterhead or plain, and it will pull from those trays.

I must warn you that it is not a good idea to print labels from any tray other than tray 1, and it is recommended that you open the rear exit door. This keeps the labels on a flat (straight) paper path, and can save you some headache. If you feed from tray 2, 3, etc.. and have them exit on the face down, you risk them peeling off, and getting stuck inside the printer. Depending on where they peel off and get stuck, you might be looking at a service call fee and parts.

Timothy N. Couch
A1 Printech
Anchorage, AK

Let me second TCouch's warning. Having a label peel off inside the printer is a nightmare; they invariably leave adhesive on some critical and hard to clean part.

The labels are actually one large label on the sheet. If they were small labels I would agree. We have been using these for years with zero problems.

I went into the properties of the printer and then tried to set up the trays. I was told that the printer will try to match the paper size to be printed to an available tray starting at the bottom and working up until it finds one that matches. I still can't get the printer to print to anything but the tray that I set the letter paper in.

Shannan

The labels are actually one large label on the sheet. If they were small labels I would agree. We have been using these for years with zero problems.
You do realize you just jinxed yourself! ;P

When you created the labels object for printing did you leave the print options on page setup for paper source to automatically select? You can change that by clicking the drop down and selecting the exact tray you want to use. Hope that helps.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

You don't want to be messing with the size of the paper but rather the paper type.

Then when you print you tell the printer what type of paper you are printing too. There will always be a default type that you can set for individual users that will effectively set a default tray.

I work on this equipment everyday and what you are trying to do is not going to work and if you do get it to work you will be buying a new printer or having that one repaired. HP stated to run labels in this machine it should only be done with tray 1 (fold out tray) This way the paper goes in directly and not from a tray where it has to turn and have rollers pushing on the labels that WILL make them jam the printer and fry the fuser.

I ended up calling HP and we set it up. It was not the way I wanted but the way I wanted to do it would not work. As for the labels, we have been using these for at least 3 1/2 years (that is when I arrived here) with no jams or problems at all. I would say that on average they run 100 a day, so that is 127,750! If it were smaller individual labels I would agree with the paper jam. I have fished many labels out of the inside of a printer when they peeled off. These are one large label on a page and they seem to act just like a plain piece of paper.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Shannan

Yeah I print labels on a mix of HP LJ printers and have never had any problems. The printers can handle proper label paper the same as they do a plain bit of A4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back