Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

409 inches by 52 inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambitMRKT

Technical User
May 9, 2007
US
How would I create an image that needed to be 409 inches wide if Adobe keeps telling me my artboard can only be 227 inches or less?

...work in percentages, i would scale yours down to 25% actual size, then when output you would then need to print at 400% to get actual size required:

output width / original width x 100 = % required

so yours would be:

409" / 102.25" x 100 = 400%

...if using raster images, they will need to have enough dpi when run to 400%, for large work like this, you will be OK at 100dpi when images are printed. When scaled at final output you will have 100dpi effective resolution for raster images...

Andrew

...to get raster images at 100dpi when output they need to be at 400dpi to begin with...

Andrew

...you could always go to a lower percentage scale of course, just work through the math...

...vector artwork is scalable to virtually any size, without loss of quality, bitmap images are another matter really, but at your 409" width, you could also get away with a even lower dpi output of 100dpi...

...poster images are after all, very small images printed very large, but viewed from several feet/metres away...

Andrew

Apepp, thks for the response! So, if I have output resolution set to 800 dpi I should definitely be fine. Do I even have to worry about gradient mesh resolution --which happens to be set at 150ppi? I *am* using a big, very prominent, gradient fill on this piece...

...gradients are smooth shades in postcript, as there aren't details in gradients keep the mesh resolution to 300 and you should be OK...

...gradients can be a problem with some output devices so best get advice from your output provider. Good gradients are much to do with the output devices ability/quality, in combination with how far gradients stretch in inches, generally the longer a gradient stretches the better chance it has of banding, especially with dark colours to light...

...lighter pastel colours in gradients can help to not show banding even if it occurs...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back