Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

406v2 - Lit up, Trying to use DTE port, but not responding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajwittenbrink

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2005
US
I have a 406v2 unit, that a technician was upgrading from 2.1, however, during the process the system filed, and no the 406v2 is unresponsive.

I have poured over this forum and used the FAQ and other hints, but I cannot get eh 406v2 to respond.

Here is the output

Programming FPGA ...
PGA Version 0xFC
CPLD Revs: 0xC1 0xD4
CardID: 0x3A Modules: 0xED
Broadcom Switch Mode was 0xF5 now 0xF6
EthChipRevId: 0x37 EthPhyId: 0x004062B3
P12 Loader 2.4
CPU Revision 0x0900

I have the Hyperterminal set to the proper settings described in the FAQ
I have a 9 pin cable connecteed to my pc and the unit.

How do I get this unit to respond back to me? I press ESC with no luck.

Thanks

when you see what you have posted you don't need to press esc
the result of pressing esc is what you have

follow the faq and you will have it running again

Not very helpfull response from tlpeter. keep pressing esc as you power up. Then do the AT-X stuff to load up the config from manager again.

Make sure you have an bootp in your manager, also make sure you have an ip-adress like 192.168.42.100.

Greets Peter

misterbelly, tlpeter is right. Pressing esc will not help as the output shown is the output of the bootloader and this is what you see if the firmware is missing.

The problem can be various:
No BOOTP entry for the MAC address
False IP Address on the PC or DHCP enabled on PC
tftp port blocked by another program/firewall
binary directory false in Manager

Do I use a regular 9 pin Serial cable, or a serial to Cat53 cable, and plug that into my PC's ethernet port?

As for the binary directory, shall I point it to the bins for the last known firmware level?

I have been pressing ESC, but no matter what that is the output. Is the ESC a timed process?

Forget the escape key, it is useless.
You need a 9 pin serial cable and a serial port on your PC.
Also you need to have a cat5 cable between the PC and the IPO.
use Hyperterminal to com1, speed 38400.
if connected you will see what you typed before.
then follow the faq

i also had the same problem,the unit keeps sending bootp requests,i have it loading the 2.1 or the 3.0(999) bin file but in the hyperterminal says:
TFTP Load Start
TFTP Load complete
Invalid software image, reason 0x04
Multi-Sector Erase
OK

Then it retries getting the file and the same error message again.

Can anyone help?What should be the correct image file?

If seen it change the IP address from the default several times before....if you watch the DTE screen you can find it..It is in HEX

Perv2,can you be more specific? I think it has nothing to do with the IP Address.It all happened when i tried to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0.99,the upgrade failed and since then...
I've been through the DTE maintenance many times and it always worked but now i can't figure it out.

When performing a DTE i have seen it change the IP address from the default of 192.168.42.1 to another address...usaly someing in the range of 192.168.42.3 to 12.

When is does this and you find what is has changed to ( by conferting the hex address that you can see on your DTE screen) you can then go in and change your bootp settings.

If the IPO comes with a different IP Address as defined in the BOOTP then the Windows OS is to blaim.

Switch all devices off ( IPO and PC ), turn on PC, start Manager and then power up the IPO, then it will go as expected.
I have seen this happening many times.

I had the same issue happen while upgrading and by chance found the problem was that I did not have a static address set on the manager pc. The upgrade hung up and when I tried to use the dte port to default the IPO I got the same message. When I assigned a static address it completed the upgrade and I didn't need to default it.

Intrigrant and Perv2,

Thanks this resolved the problem. I was away for a few days so I apologize in the delay.

After I had my cable plugged in I was able to load the bin files. I could not connect through manager, but after finding the HEX address in the console log, I was able to connect. (This computer had no IP address registered for this system, so there was no BootP record.)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back