Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

406 VoIP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sav01

Technical User
Apr 22, 2005
US
Hi

I am hoping someone can offer some advice as I am lost and not sure where to go next to solve this issue.

We have An IP 406 V1, not 100% certain it's a V1 but fairly certain it is. It has a VCM 5 installed and is at software level 3.0(40) and has 2 Analogue POTS 30's attached. We also have a remote system, a Cisco Call Manager Express.

What we have tried to do is create a VoIP link between the two sites by adding a VoIP line in the Avaya config and a short code to pick up calls to extensions on the remote system and route them down the VoIP line. The equivalent is done at the other end to route calls to the Avaya extensions down the VoIP line and all other calls as well so that all external calls break out of the Avaya.

When we put all this in it works fine and all the calls go where they are supposed to go. However the system just crashes and reboots about 4 or 5 times a day. The only way to stop it doing so is to remove the VoIP line entry.

I have had System Monitor running during a crash but the logs are largely meaningless to me. It doesn't look like it happens if there are too many VoIP calls operating, ie more than 5 at any one time. I have looked into upgrading the system but I am reluctant to as:

a) I have had bad experiences with upgrades in the past
b) There isn't enough memory for a version 4.0 upgrade
c) I have worked with systems in the past where this type of VoIP link has worked fine on 406's with the same s/w version

We have spoken to our Avaya supplier and they are less than helpful and done as much reading as from Avaya articles and forums as I can but don't seem to be getting very far.

I just wanted to know whether anyone had any ideas on:

a) Should this work with a version 3.(40) system or are there any known issues?
b) Are there any known issues linking Cisco Call Manager Expresses?
c) Is upgrading a 406 to Version 3.2 possible/problematic?
d) Any other suggestions on what may be the cause or things to try?

Any help gratefully received.

Chris

it sounds to me that the settings in either the cisco or the avaya are causing the issue. There is a white paper on connecting the 2 together. You may want to search the avaya site and make sure both ends are set up correctly. I have tried to connect Cisco to Avaya and we have not had good luck. we can pass calls but at 10 seconds they drop.

If you have a VCM 5 I see how you could have more than 5 IP calls. If you leave the VoIP line connected, and don't make any calls on it, does the system crash? I would turn the always confusing direct media path off. I would also make sure the H323 fixup are of on cisco routers. My guess is you have them if you have a Call Manager.

Also, in the IP line settings, do you have all the channels set to 5 or are they set to more than that, if so change to 5. That's all I've got.

Thanks for your suggestions. To clarify things a bit:

>System crashes if we have the IP line entry in the system. Even if we don't route any calls thorugh it in either direction the system crashes.
> H323 fix up is off.
> Tried the IP line with channels set to 5 and the default of 20. No difference.

3.0 was not a good verison for SCN so maybe this is a problem like that
Do you have voice networking checked on that ipline ?
If not then upgrade it

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back