Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

400FSB Processor with 533/800FSB Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsilon6

Technical User
Sep 21, 2002
US
Can I stick a 400FSB processor into a motherboard that runs 533/800FSB?

Are they backwards compatible?

Way too little information...Normally the only detriment is that you will only tranfer at the lowest denominator.

I will assume that you have checked that the CPU is of the same type i.e. Intel 775 pin or AMD 939 pin. Beyond that check the mobo site for CPU compatibility.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

If it's a 400FSB CPU, it's probably the Socket 478 type.

I believe it will work, as the BIOS should automatically detect the 100MHz FSB speed and slow itself down. You might want to check your motherboard's manual to be sure. Keep in mind that the memory in the system was probably already running in synch with the frontside bus. So now with a slower bus speed, the memory will likely be out of synch, which could cause some high latencies at times.

I would have to ask why you've decided to go with a slower FSB?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yes, the processor is a Socket 478. I am replacing a motherboard on a friends computer which has leaky capacitors and keeps powering itself on and off. I beleive the motherboard he had before is a Intel D845BG. He wanted to get a motherboard which he could grow on without replacing he processor at the current time.

The old motherboard did not have USB 2.0 as well as SATA. Eventually, he will buy a socket 775 mobo and processor, but just can't afford it at the present time.

Does the new mobo take the same memory - DDR?

If so, then I'd say it was a good move. But if you wind up changing the memory during this upgrade, then it's probably a waste instead of going straight to a 775 mobo now...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back