Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4006 / IPX Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCal

MIS
Apr 1, 2000
US
Installed a new 4006 to network. Enabled portfast on all blades. Connecting to another 4006 using GBICs.

Problem is that our Novell clients using IPX are experiencing random network errors.

All ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Al
atc-computing@home.com

Does anything need to be enabled on the switch(s) in order to pass IPX traffic between the two???

Al
atc-computing@home.com

Random IPX Network errors is sort of vague- I dont think you need to do anything special for IPX if your only using a 4006 at layer 2. I don't know what SW you're running, I've seen 4006's running SW 5-5-4b not get the Novell login screen. A re-boot seemed to fix the problem. You might try upgrading to SW 5-5-7 if your memory is adequate,it might help.
If you are able to set up a login account at the cisco web site you can look at the release notes for the different SW versions & see the fixes & caveats for each.
Use portfast with caution, Portfast on all blades can be dangerous if you have redundant links. Only use portfast on ports to end stations.
Good Luck,
ACAC

Further investigation has found that devices on the new switch (i.e. print servers) are not visible in and can not be managed from NDS. Someone had mentioned something about an IPX trunking command over uplink ports?

Al
atc-computing@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back