Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4003 will not autoboot upon power cycle maybe bad nvram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coty

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2003
US
I have a 4003 with a sup1 engine running bootstrap 5.4(1)with 5.5(1) software.

When you power the switch up it goes into rommon mode...but issuing the "boot" command boots it up just fine. I can then set the boot register to 0x2102 and then issue the reset command and it autoboots fine; however powering the switch down and back up takes me back to rommon mode...and I get a warning saying boot area of NVRAM is corrupt zeroing it... I found some info online with a similar issue that suggested the nvram might be bad. If this is true what can be done to fix it? Is the NVRAM easily replaced or do I just need to kick for another Sup1 engine?

Any help would be appreciated greatly :)

Hmmm...

set boot register 0x2

then try it. I think your setting bits that don't need to be set. To see a full list of them check out:

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Also you can try putting in a boot statement , set boot system flash bootflash:image name " .

It was set to 0x2 originally...and I do have a boot statement...but I am not totally sure I had both at the same time...I can try that :)

Thanks

Config register should be 0xf and then add your boot statement .

Setting the boot statement and setting to 0xf or 0x2 both result in the same thing...rommon upon power cycle :-(

I just tried 0x10f with the boot system flash command (I have been using that syntax)and still nothing... Also note: I have an identical 4003 running the same version software and it works with the boot system flash command and config-register 0x102...which I just tried on this one.

It actually worked once (but with some nvram errors) then failed again the next time.

I really am convinced this sup engine is toast...I am just buying another one and moving on.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back