Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4000M not allowing new connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechDaddy123

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2002
US
Funny problem that's killin' me!

I have a ProCurve 4000M with factory cards. The switch seemed to work well for a while now it won't allow any new devices on the network. Anything connected before still works fine as long as they stay connected in the same port. Move the device to a different port, and it will no longer work.

There is a link light, even activity lights. The web console shows a new device hooked in and working properly, but it can't grab an IP from DHCP. Manual IP entry on the new device does no good either, nothing can be pinged. The web and telnet interface quit working, then even the console quit working.

I decided to replace the switch feeling that it was faulty. A new 4000M has been in place only about 24 hours and it now has the same problem! Do I have a network device that could somehow be causing this?

I've flashed it to the newest firmware, still no good. The configuration is out of the box except for the IP that I put on it.

I have two other 4000M's at two other connected sites and they're working great.

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I can by no means give you an answer on your question, but hope you can help me.

You state that you flashed the 4000M with the lastest firmware?

Is this the ROM or Software?
If it is the ROM, where can I get this firmware (I have been unable to find it at HP) and how to update this (same as software?).

Many thanks

JR
As a wise man once said: To build the house you need the stone.
Back to the Basics!

Thanks,
but is that not the software update?
Am I correct when thinking that your ROM version is different from this?

Can you actually flash the ROM?

JR
As a wise man once said: To build the house you need the stone.
Back to the Basics!

Don't know a lot about HP switches but is it possible that you don't have ( portfast ) a cisco term turned on for your user ports ? This allows the port to immedietly forward instead of going thru the complete spanning tree process thus DHCP would not work in this case because it times out and you don't get a address and then you can't get anywhere . something to check . Don't know what the HP equivalent of portfast, think it is Spanning tree fast mode on HP .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back