Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.90 SP2 client randomly hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfoldesi

MIS
May 25, 2000
US
Hi,

I'm updateing current NW clients from various version to latest 4.90 SP2. The client randomly hangs on some workstations when logging in. The user is unable to do anything but turn the PC off with the power switch and restart. After restarting the login works fine. 4.90 SP2 client installed with no additional components and NMAS and NICI are not installed either. Workstations are all Win XP Pro SP2 fully patched. NW server is 5.1 SP6. Has anyone experienced this ? Found one TID on Novell site but it refers to NWSPOOL.DLL I don't believe this is the problem because users do not print to a queue.

Thanks,

one time I had this kind of issue was with the original client 4.9 If users logged in too early, the thing would just hang. It's a windows thing IME - another one of those times that it is trying to look faster than it is. Watch the HD light when the login screen comes up. 9 times out of 10 it is still chugging, and has about another 30-40 seconds of hard work to do loading your profile etc. MSFT tosses up the login screen while this is all still happening in the background. I have not seen this issue with 4.9 SP2 myself. We're just about halfway through the 4.9SP2 rollout here. I still have guys on 4.83 SP1.. (which still works great btw.)
What SP on XP?
What's your environment like? IP or IPX or both?
If it's all IP, how is SLP set up?
Is the server on the same LAN segment?

Thanks ITsmyfault,

We run IPX and IP both. Problem occurs on all segments randomly. All workstations effected are XP Pro SP2 fully patched. I've ruled out SP2. The problem has occured on workstations prior to SP2 installation.

Do you install NMAS and NICI when installing 490 SP2 ?

Thanks,

I also have this same problem. It seems to be totally random, and generally upon reboot the user can get logged right in. Sometimes multiple reboots will be needed.

No NICI or NMAS is installed and it's on an IP only setup.

Hello all, did anyone solve this problem? I get the same problem and not find anything on the net. If someone know how to solve this problem, can you post it please?

thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back