Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.83sp2 client suprseded by microsoft client 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

landseer

MIS
Aug 29, 2003
US
After uninstalling PcAywhere Ver.10.5 I rebooted my machine. After a fresh restart my nwclient 4.83 sp2 was no longer the primary network service. Instead I get a standard windows login dialog box. When I enter my login and password, which is exactly the same as my novell login...I am taken to another screen where I get a NWClient Logo and then it brings me to my desktop. It then gives me my login script results and then it is finished. I am fully logged into my server with all my mapped drives. The question I pose to you all...is why has the novell client been superseded by the windows client? and why am I still able to login to novell? Please help...I am at a loss for this...A point in the right direction would be grateful. Thanks, DJ

The Windows 98 client had the ability to change the order in which the novell & microsoft logins were processed. I can't find that setting for XP/2000, but i would imagine it's a registry setting.

That said, it appears that it's just using your microsoft credentials to authenticate and run the login script for Novell. Nothing abnormal about that, given the scenario.

This TID looks pretty close to what you're talking about, but I don't see those options on XP. Maybe you could find out what registry settings are being changed and go from there.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

i too have had this issue when installing sp1 for windows xp. I reinstalled the Novell client a hundred times to no avail....Finally I uninstalled the novell client...then wacked the NIC card from device manager rebooted and let Xp pnp my NIC then rebooted...and proceeded to re-install my novell client and...i am as good as gold

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

Don't know if this will help with XP, but in Win2k the area to change the Service order is as follows:

Right Click on Network Neighborhood
Left click on Properties
Click advanced on the toolbar
Click the Provider Order tab
Change Netware Services back to the top

I'm interested to know if this helps for XP also.
Shayne

Hey, it's a little different, but the Provider Order is in fact in the options there. I had no idea that advanced option or dialog boxes even existed. Great info!

Thanks.

Marv

Furthermore, I thought with XP, that the binding settings had been eliminated, but it's in that advanced setup as well..

XP is trying so hard to do everything for you, it's almost impossible to find the stuff you need when you want to configure something manually.

I've come across this before. Remove the NW client from network properties, reboot the PC and then re-install the NW client again.
You usually get a problem because some of the dll files get overwritten during software installation and it messes up the NWGINA.DLL file. Next time you reboot, you get an old fashioned login box (the one with all the tabs on the top) and when username+password are entered, it comes back with a message saying the tree cannot be found. If this happens you have to rename the NWGINA.DLL and copy the MSGINA.DLL to NWGINA.DLL (if you've installed XP or WIN2K service packs, make sure you copy the correct version of the MSGINA.DLL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back