Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.3.3 to 5.2 TSM server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
I am planning to upgrade to AIX 5.2 from 4.3.3

I have a storage-tek tape library, running TSM. Are there any gotchas I should look for? My game plan is:

1) Make a mksysb
2) Reboot with CDrom, and perform a "Preserve Install"
3) Reboot to 5.2, and start up adsm

I am hoping this will preserve my Devices, in particular
"smitty devices -> Tivoli Storage Manager Devices"

Has anyone done an upgrade for a TSM server? Would I need to note down any other info, before this major upgrade?

Thanks!

hi!
I have ever been to upgrade to AIX5.1 from 4.3.3.
Maybe you are likely to reinstall the TSM software and device driver after upgrade. because aix52 is 64bit kernel, i think system will not show you TSM device.

I am not upgrading TSM. I am just upgrading the OS from 4.3.3 to 5.2!

Any advice?

if you don't choose the 64 bit kernel , normally a preservation install will do the job, but if you go to 64 bit, I think you will have to reinstall the TSM.

greetz,

R.

Yes. What is preferred, 'Preserve Install' or 'Migration Install' ?

Also, when I am about to do this, will it ask me for 64 bit or 32 bit?

We have upgraded from AIX 4.3.3. to AIX 5.2 We still use TSM 4.2 with no problems. This is however an unsupported situation.

I can't comment on TSM but you will need to do a Preservation Install to upgrade AIX on the same machine. This will preserve the AIX (but mabey not the TSM) settings.
A Migration Install is for when you are restoring to a different machine than the one you took the mksysb from (i.e. you are migrating the same level of AIX from one machine to another).

Huh? I think I need to do a migration install...not preserve install..

Oops, you're right, Migration 'preserves' much more than a Preservation install. I still can't comment on the TSM bits though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back