Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.2 vs 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCardMan

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US

New install 150-200 users.

What would you choose and why: 4.2 or 5.1

I take it that jneiberger jumped ship to the Dark Side (Shoretel)??? :)
As for the original question, I have done both and don't see any compelling reason to chose either over the other than future support. CCM 5.1 is the 'new' line of code and the CCM 4.2 train has left the station. (Unless the Windows based version of CCM5 or 6 comes out) CCM 5.1 requires beefier hardware, CCM 4.2 is more familiar to most people. CCM 5.1's interface looks a lot different but pretty much operates the same way. CCM 4.2 still uses SCCP and CCM 5.1 uses both SCCP or SIP. SIP is the future, or actually present, for VoIP but I haven't used it yet.

Actually, I haven't jumped ship, per se. We use Avaya VoIP at my current employer, but we were just starting to deploy Cisco VoIP at my old employer before I left. They've been working on it for about 10 months and it's still not working right, but there are some extenuating circumstances.

Scared me. I read your posts and learn a lot. I thought you might have gone to the Dark Side. :)

I really would pick ShoreTel for a 150-200 users, though. :)

Hy there.

Start with 4.2 and upgrade to 6 on 2009. The 5 version has got the "intelligence" of the 4 or 4.1. There was a freezing on 4.1 to go on with 5. Problem: You'll have less features on the 5 as on 4.2 ! Version 6 has got all features from 4.2 and some news. I was yesterday and today @ Cisco Expo 2007 in Switzerland. There is no revolution on the Version 6, just Mobility is now integrated.

Hope it helps

C Ya soon
goa999
dess20.gif

thx for all answers and sorry for my bad english ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back