Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.2 Bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulywog

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
US
I'm running AIX v4.2 which I know I need to upgrade. We just went through an upgrade of the medical software package that is running on it and now for the past 2 weeks the system has crashed to the point of rebooting itself. I put a previous thread out on that. LED:300 along with a lot of other stuff. Before the upgrade, this vendor said their software ran on 4.2 no problem. No they are telling me the crash is a 4.2 bug and I'll need to upgrade. First of all I pay them $1300 for AIX support and they said if I upgrade IBM will support it. Anyway, my question is, is there a bug in 4.2 that will keep rebooting the system? Or is this a problem with their software?

Thanks.

Theres no way of telling whether it is their software from what you say in your post.

It sounds very much like the vendor said that everything would be fine on 4.2 hoping that it would. It also sounds like they haven't got a clue how to fix it and thats why they are recommending the upgrade.

In your position I would say that upgrading is your only option. You will at least have a supported operating system, and that has to be better than trying to sort out a problem that no-one wants to take ownership of.

Cheers

Mark

There were lots of bugs in 4.2 and maybe their software works with a particular maintenance level...which they failed to tell you...

AIX 4.2.1:
IY08272 February 2000
IY03101 RECOMMENDED Maintenance Level(4.2.1-06)
IY06408 November 99
IY05336 October 99
IY04042 September 99

instfix -i |grep ML should tell you what maintenance level you are at...
or
Example: instfix -ik 4210-01_AIX_ML
if none of the 4210-0x_AIX_ML are found
your AIX level is 4.2.1.0

There were also issues with microcode for your particular machine that needed to be updated so that it did not crash...

As stated by Mark, it is hard to say if it is their program, microcode, or patches...........
If you put all the microcode for your machine type, and IBM patches on your machine, at least the latest maintenance level.........and it still crashes, then it is their problem......... Not the easiest way to narrow it down...

As they said you can always upgrade to 4.3.3 which IBM supports....but does your application support that as well? and make sure you get the update cds for 4.3.3

AIX 4.3.3:
IY22259 - Add ability of 4.3.3.9 to database
IY22024 - Recommended Maintenance level 4.3.3.-09
IY17356 - Recommended Maintenance level 4.3.3.0-08
IY16465 - Recommended Maintenance Level 4.3.3.0-07
IY15741 - Patch to Installfix
IY16723 - Latest as of February 2001

Thank you so much for the info. I'll start the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back