Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.11 - "No Server Base Licenses Installed" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikiec71

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2008
GB
Firstly, I must confess that I'm completely clueless when it comes to Novell. I joined my company about 4 yrs ago and they've had this Novell 4.11 server running a legacy system that, apart from having to reboot it ocassionally, hasn't given me too much grief. However, I came in today (Monday) to find that the server had frozen. When I tried to reboot it, it wouldn't do anything after the memory test.

I eventually narrowed the problem down to the motherboard and so hooked the scsi drives up to another pc (both Pentium II processors) and it booted up and appeared to work fine, although I didn't attach it to a network card. The original server had a network port on the motherboard whereas the replacement doesn't.

I subsequently replaced the old motherboard and processor with the working one and attached a network card (which was plugged into the old motherboard but not used).

However, now, when it starts to boot up, it asks for the Server Name and the IPX address. I know the server name but I haven't a clue what the IPX address was. Whatever I type in for IPX, I get the message "No Server Base Licenses Installed".

Is there any way of retrieving the original IPX address?

Thanks

EDIT: I tried the same thing without the Network Card attached and I now get the same problem. The message appears after it has loaded MAC.NAM

Hi again

I have never seen a SCSI driver that doesn't see all the devices. Due to physical connection problems, yes, especially if there is a termination problem. But SCSI is a bus and it is the controller that addresses the drives, so if the controller sees them so should the driver because it is talking to the controller.

Besides, it is the same driver you were using previously, no?

That is why I wanted you to look at what install has to say. It looks at the Novell partitions and the volume(s( allocated within each. I'm guessing SYS and VOL1 ore on the first set of drives and VOL2 is on the 2nd set. One of those drives has lost (some) of its partition info. If we can figure out which one, we will just remove it. Novell will then bitch about the drive no longer being mirrored, and when we delete the definition of the Novell partitions on that drive we should be able to mount the other unmirrored, get the data off it, and then reallocate the partition on the mirrored drive and remirror.

In the best of all possible worlds that should work. However we don't know yet if your vol's are spanning drives or what.

As a general rule Novell is very robust in recovering from hardware problems.

Regarding your legacy app, as long as it isn't using any Novell-specific facilities (such as Btrieve or IPX) and requires only drive mapping it may work on NT, though performance will suffer.

So, have a good evening and we will likely talk tmw. I am in Canada, BTW, -5 hours from you.

Jock

Quick update as I've had to turn my attention to the other things that got left on Mon & Tues...

The drivers are different, in that they are updated ones from Adaptec. However, I think you might be right in your assessment.

I did have a look at INSTALL.NLM yesterday and from what I remember, Vol2 is spanned across both sets - I think it said that on LUN#0 there was SYS:, VOL1: and VOL2:(1st part/section).

I'm going to try and get some time tomorrow to have a proper look at it.

Cheers :)

OK, we will need to know all the details of the partitions and volume allocations within them to see which one is dodgy.

Unfort tmw pm I will be unavailable as work intrudes. It might be a good idea to start a new thread here so poss one of the gurus will take notice & can give guidance. I will check in the morning.

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back