Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.0 Domain and Networking 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLHobby1

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
Hello everyone!!!!!!
I have a Netfinity 5500 with nt 4.0. I am trying to set up a network for a small buisness use with 4 clients and 1 server. I also want to do ICS. Client os are xp home, 98 and 2000 pro. What I am asking---- While I wait for my how to use nt 4.0 books I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good links to get this network thing started. Or if its not to much trouble--- if I could get a rundown on how to do this now. If it's too much of a process to explain I fully understand!!!!! Thanks a ton in advance

JL

with just 4 clients its hardly worth setting up a domain - so why not have a workgroup instead? (can use NT server as a file server for example). Also NT server doesn't do ICS - so you'd need to configure one of the other machines to share the internet connection (though, unless its dial-up - which would be useless shared between several machines, you'd be better off with a router - they're very inexpensive nowadays - to share the connection)

Hello,
This is very true. However---- if forgot to put in that I will also be making my own website also (if all goes well, keeping my fingers crossed). So in that case wouldn't you need a domain for outside sources to reach in order to access the info stored on the hdd's?????????

jl

No, you could still publish a website from a workgroup server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Hello,
O.K. So if that is the case then this is the blockade I am facing----- When I set up NT 4.0 I entered a domain name and all other affiliates during that process. Now it seems that I am "stuck" with those features. In order to setup a work group do I need to total reinstall NT 4.0 or is there another way around it. Is there a system manager file that I need to access to change this?????

jl

If I remember rightly, you'll need to reinstall - but NT installs in 20 minutes!

JL;

There is nothing wrong with you running a domain. As others have mentioned you do not need to have one - but for some security a domain is not a bad idea, and it gives you a basic exposure to NT domains, tools and such.

Your clients will be OK - except for the XP Home - which can only be used in a work group - it cannot join a domain.

Otherwise have some fun.

Yours Sincerely
Andrew Martin
Chief Grump of the Tech Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back