Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3x8 for a home

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickasch

MIS
Sep 8, 2004
US
Hi Everyone,

I've just got done putting in a new CICS 6.1 in at my office, and I was thinking about putting a 3x8 in at my house, now that I feel more comfortable with the Norstars. Here's the deal, I'd like to keep this system as cheap as possible. I've got a few questions:

1) I was wondering if I could get by on ver.1 instead of 5 or 5.1. I don't need Answer DNs, or anything fancy.
2) What phones are recommended with this? I was thinking possibly T7208s. Are these compatible with version 1?
3) Any recommended sources for getting quality refurb 3x8s?

Thanks a bunch!

- Matthew

Only phones that won't work on DR 1 are 7324's and T7406. ASk your vendor for refurb phones

Get the 7310 sets. Better Display, more programmable buttons, better phone. I do not think you will pay much more for those sets if you look around. You may also want to consider a small UPS.

NARSBARS

I was thinking about 7310s for most of the areas, and maybe a 7324 at my desk. Am I missing a lot with only the DR1 software (not DR5 or 5.1)? Like I said earlier, I don't need any advanced features like a CICS, just a system to do intercoms, pages, and use 2 CO lines with. I will NOT be adding voicemail to this system, ever. Also, we have an exsisting AT&T cordless phone system, (connects 3 wireless handsets to the base). Is it possible to connect these in parallel to 1 of the CO lines and have it still ring when a call comes in, both on the ATT and the Norstar? I don't want to add these to the system with an ATA, several wiring issues within our house to do this.

Thanks again. I may have more questions in the future!
- Matthew

Did you read Telemarvs post?
NO 7324's WITH DR1.

As to your second question...no.

The cordless phones can be wired in front of the KSU so that they will all ring, but this can present some problems. You would not be able to transfer from the system phones to the analogs. If you get a call and place it on "hold" on a system phone and then pick it up at the cordeless, the system wil keep it on hold until the call terminates (if it will even release it then).

You could use an ATA, and just put the cordless base at the same location as the KSU (if the range will work) to avoid the wiring problems you speak of.

I think that bkrike has the best idea... Just wire the bases at the KSU using an ATA.

Frankly, having the DR-5 variant of the Norstar 3X8 DS-KSU makes complete and economical sense if one wishes to enjoy the benefits of Call Display. Properly configured, one would have mere one-touch access to carrier-based message waiting features based on this ability alone.

Consider the DR-1 animal a mere gelding, where the DR-5 variant would be a thoroughbrad Arabian with all of its papers!

Thanks for everyone's posts so far. Bkrike, sorry about the T7324, I didn't read the post correctly. I am considering the ATA for the cordless phones, however, if I went without an ATA, how would I wire the cordless set ahead of the 3x8? Could I just use a splitter on a CO jack and do it that way?

Also, any known hardware issues with the 3x8? I was orignially thinking a Merlin 206, so the Norstar 3x8 is a big improvement from the Merlin!

Thanks,
Matthew

There is no tranfer feature (F70) on DR1 you can't transfer calls to and from your cordless on an ATA. Only ATA1 will work on DR1. No caller ID either

Just putting a splitter should work fine for putting the cordless ahead of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back