Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3DES Software licence for Pix

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignorante

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
MX
Hi all,
I have a scheme with 2 Pix 515, one in production and the other conected to serve as failover. I need to implement VPN's with the Pix, but don't know if there is a special license for the Pix in failover, or is the same in both cases. I know that a DES (or 3DES) licence is for only one Pix, so in this case i must request 2 licences, but a provider told me that i need a special license for the Pix in failover, and that license has a different part number than the one for the Pix in Production. But, searching at Cisco's web, i didn't find that part number, only one for DES and other one for 3DES, and didn't say anything about failover.
Hope anyone can help me to solve this doubt.
Thanks in advance!

You need the Unrestricted license for the PIX firewall. That will give you unlimited users and failover capability, as well as 6 interfaces. You can get DES for free from Cisco. 3DES will cost you about $800 per unit, and you need to buy 2 of everything beacuse these PIXes when in failover mode must be identical in hardware and software.

HI.

About the failover configuration, as far as I know, the secondary pix is a different product (different license but same hardware) and costs about 30% of the primary.

But I'm not a sales man so I don't know.

You should ask your reseller for answers, and if you don't get them, contact a Cisco pre-sale person for assistant.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for your answers. Now it's more clear to me. I have the unrestricted license, and need to adquire the 3DES license. The confusion starts when my Cisco provider told me that there is a part number for 3DES license in primary pix and other part number for the same license applies for the failover pix, when i have ordered 2 licenses for primary. And that's the reazon of my question, need to see if any of you will share experiences about that situation.
Thanks again.
Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back