Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D objects: placing one inside the other (with overlap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmanbc

Technical User
Jun 17, 2009
I have a crescent-like shape (only more closed than a crescent) that i am creating using the 3d effect to create. It has more depth than a crescent however, imagine a cylinder. I need to place a ball in the middle of this object. Behind the front wall but in front of the back wall (hence the overlap), however illustrator does not seem to deal acknowledge this depth in space. Is there away to gain the effect im looking for?

...if so, you have to go a step further and apply a clipping mask to the sphere, you can either do one manually, or "object > expand appearance" the crescent shape and grab the top shape that makes the hole and create a clipping mask from that...

andrew

...do note, example two above was created using two separate 3D functions, one for the sphere > 3D revolve...

...and for the crescent type shape > 3D Extrude + Bevel...

...then clipping mask applied to sphere...

...example one above can be achieved using only one 3D function, just need to layer the structure correctly with wall above sphere and apply 3D Revolve to the GROUP level layer...

andrew

its more like the first example. so are you saying I can render 2 different effects at the same time?

...i'm saying you can apply one effect to two different objects at the same time, how they are layered effects the result, see example one:

...the second example uses two effects, one for each object, then the sphere needs a clipping mask...

...so depending on what you are trying to achieve, it's possible to get away with one effect applied to two objects...

andrew

Im having trouble creating the clipping mask. I cant get it to work, all that happens is the object disappears, theres no clipping that happens.

Here's a link. I need the orange ball in the turquoise crescent-cylinder:

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back