Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D modelling help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFI

Programmer
Jun 7, 2000
GB
What-ho!

I would like to write an application which allows me to model 3D objects by way of nodal points. Ideally, I'd like an interface which displays a grid and allows the positioning of nodes by clicking on positions within that grid. In this way, you could model 2D objects. So, either by having a grid which displays a side on view of that object so that you could define the Z position of your nodes or by being able to otherwise define the Z position of your nodes, you could then transform your 2D object into 3 dimensions.

The problem is that I really haven't got the first idea where to start. Does anyone know how to write something like a grid object where you can define nodes? Is there a control out there already?

Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Sorry -
I haven't heard about any controls that do this.
I think you're going to have to draw your grid (using Line methods) in the Form_Paint event. Then in the form's mousedown event, figure out which interesection of the gridlines the user clicked on. Once they've defined an object (triangle), you'll have to draw it yourself in the Form_Paint event as well.

Chip H.

That's a good idea, I like the sound of that - thanks :)

Hmmm... sounds like you may want to look into Direct3D RM or IM in the Microsoft DirectX SDK. If you aren't familiar with it - it's free to download but it can be quite complicated/overwhelming (depending on your background). If you get the hang of it, you can make some killer 3D applications! It comes with white papers, which are usually preferred over the books available on the subject. Rob Marriott
rob@career-connections.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back