Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Headphones Wire / Cord with Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyman10

Technical User
Dec 7, 2008
US
Hi All,

I am trying to create a dancing/spiraling cord for a pair of headphones I have designed in illustrator.

I created my wire / cord by doing a pen tool and just dragging the pen tool all around the screen making neat little curves which actually looks pretty decent. Then I did a small stroke on the pen tool so, right now, it has the look of a completely flat wire.

The idea is that the cord will look rounded, not just a flat line so that would be my first question... I feel as though there has to be a way to rotate that stroke around the pen tool axis to make a nice rounded look. But all of the rotation stuff makes things that look crazy... maybe i am not specifying some parameter right or something.

More importantly, as the cord loops in and around itself it gets closer to the viewer, the parts of the cord that are closes to the viewer would be larger, and the parts farther away would look smaller, creating some sort of perspective. Basically, that perspective is what I am battling right now in illustrator.

I have tried tons of stuff, mostly in the effect menu, but none of them seem to produce what I want, though they do produce some very wierd looking shapes... I have read some tutorials saying to use the free transform tool to add perspective, but it just seems to keep all the points the same and just make my object look stretched instead of closer to the viewer... Hope I am explaining myself well.

Any help and I will be very grateful.

I am also attaching my .AI file in case that may help someone understand.

Thanks.

...the 3d tools in illustrator are fine for relatively simple shapes rendered to a 3D space, but for what you are requiring would either have to be manually drawn in illustrator (drawn > scanned > traced) with an artists hand, or failing that, rendered in a 3D program if you want the "easiest" method...

...the next best thing in illustrator is to wrap a gradient brush on the stroke (gradient brushes are created using blended objects, not the normal gradient palette)...

andrew

Thank you guys, this helped me. Appreciate your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back