Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D games lock up in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

aashshak

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ system with an ATI Raedon 8500 64MB card running Windows XP. When ever I play 3D games the system locks up. The logitec joy stick doesn't work,nor the stirring wheel and pedals in the 3D games. After every lock up the CPU is at 130 degrees. Does any body know what could be wrong and how I can fix this. I would really appreciate this.

I can think of a few things, one is that some of those 64 meg cards are buggy, update the drivers, also the versoin of direct x that comes on win XP or that you may have upgraded to may be causeing a conflict, thats all my ideas for now.

Matt

130F/60C? is just approaching flakey processor temperature, so you could have a your reason.
You should have extra case cooling with an XP1700+,
at least two extra case fans mounted in the appropriate
positions.
1) Front lower, drawing in cool air.
2) Rear top exhausting out warm air.

You may also want to consider replacing your heatsink/fan
(assuming it is a generic cheapy at the mo?)
For a branded higher rated unit. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Guys I thank you a lot for your advice. All of it is accepted and appreciated.

A trip to the WindowsXP update site cured mine of same.
Can't remember which patch though!
May or may not be relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back