Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Games crash problem in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbozic

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
When I play 3D games, at first everything is OK. Everything runs perfectly and smoothly. Then after a few minutes the game crashes and windows xp prompts that there has been an error and whether I want to send it to microsoft. Some games just kick me back to windows without any messages, and some games give me an unknown exception error. All of these errors I get after a few minutes of gameplay, usually a different number of minutes each time, so there is no consistent time. I should have the latest drivers and updates. My video card is nVidia GeForce 2 64MB DDR. The games are: American McGee's Alice, Empire Earth, and SimCity 3000. Any ideas?

Thanks.

NB

Try running these games in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode.

To do so:
1. Find the actual .EXE file that the system runs to launch the game. (i.e. C:\games\Empire Earth\empire.exe , etc...)
2. Right-click the .exe file and go to the TAB labelled "Compatibility" and check box "Run this program in compatibilty mode for:" and choose 98/ME.

Click apply or OK to finalize.

This will help with SOME games, not all...

BC

Thanks guys. I haven't tried it yet but will as soon as I get the time.

I HAVE A PROBLEM IN PALYING THE GAMES IN WIN XP,WHEN I OPEN THE GAME THE COMPUTER MAKE A NEW RESTART,WHAT DO I ADVICE ME TO DO,MY VGA CARD IS 32BIT ATI (3D ACCELERATOR)

Miro26

Make sure your game is compatible with XP.

Turn off the automatic restart option so that you get a detailed error message as to what is wrong.

Right click My Computer and select properties. Select Advanced then Settings in Start up and recovery. Uncheck the Automatic restart option.

Also look in the Event Viewer for any error messages.

Post back with any error message you find.

lets start with the easy way. Are the games original??
Or is bad copies.....
The other is that you may use same bad drivers for your video card or via based mobo with out via4in1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back