Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d/crashing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmosier

Technical User
Aug 5, 2001
US
I have a 266mhz gateway, 64 mb with a 32mb nvidia stb agp card running win 95. Gateway says it is not a 3d card. got me! on any games requiring 3d acceleration the game freezes up. sometime the power switch won't even respond I have to unplug from the wall. I ve reformatted, Gateway has reformatted, new drivers loaded and updated. The card has never worked and gateway has no answer. I used to have a 4mb card of same and could play everything execpt lucas arts geames.

I'm not familliar with '95, but does this card require directX to run? What version is required? Do you have it installed, and have you actually installed the drivers properly? There could also be an issue with the motherboard chipset - obtain an updated driver for this component. I had a simmilar problem - running (or trying to run) 'dxdiag' caused the computer to crash, as did loading 3D games. Installing the chipset drivers solved it. Hope you sort it. Andy.

I thought the game required direct x, not the card. either way I am currently running 8. There is an update program by Gateway that I use, so I assume it would update my chip set as well. I am really having a time, originally it was suggested to install new video drivers. I want to STB and installed drivers I thought would work, but that just rendered my card usless. All games could not find my card. I took it to a Gateway Country, they reformatted and put in a newer upgraded card but failed to give me any drivers. All said and done, drivers were loaded and updated. Thanks for replay though.

I thought the game required direct x, not the card. either way I am currently running 8. There is an update program by Gateway that I use, so I assume it would update my chip set as well. I am really having a time, originally it was suggested to install new video drivers. I want to STB and installed drivers I thought would work, but that just rendered my card usless. All games could not find my card. I took it to a Gateway Country, they reformatted and put in a newer upgraded card but failed to give me any drivers. All said and done, drivers were loaded and updated. Thanks for replay though.

DirectX? Of course it's the game that requires it not the card. Silly me! :p (That's what I meant) What is the full name of your card? Maybe it's not OpenGL compatible? Just clutching at straws here - This is an interesting problem and I'd like to know the cause of this myself in case I get any more graphics problems. Anyone else any ideas?

When my computer first boots up the first thing that pops up is "tnt model64 bios 2.05.1304". I assume this is my card. nvidia riva tnt2 model 64, appears in display adapters.

O.K., I sort-of know the card and it is '3D compatible'. Try running dxdiag (go to 'run' and type in dxdiag )A box will appear, select the 'display' tab. You will see the name of your card at the top and lower down will be three directx features:
1-test direct draw
2-test direct 3D
3-test AGP texturing
test each one-there will be more than one test per section and see if the results are as expected. It is possible that one or more sections will be greyed out. Let us know which ones and the results of the tests (displayed wrongly, lock-up, crash etc). Andy.

First off Windows 95 does not support AGP. If you look in device manger and go to the resorces of the video card you will see memory address problems. This will explain why your computer locks up. There is no way around it and no patches available to fix it. MS never put support for AGP into Win95 because Win98 would support AGP natively and MS wanted you to upgrade. Your 32 meg NVIDIA card IS a 3D card. You just need an OS to take advantage of it. I suggest upgrading to Win98. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

I am confused. What did people use before win98?. I do have an AGP slot and win95 was the only OS when I bought my computer. I used to be able to play 3d games when I had a 4mhz card. and under resourses, I see nothing about address problems. thanks

When I run DXDiag I get "drivers are uncertified by microsoft". What does this mean and is there a way to certify them.

under Direct X files I get a "vfwwdm32.dll has been installed incorrectly" message. I also tried to test. I did this before and everything checked out OK, but for some reason tonight I get the "This program will shut down" error. Any help. thanks!

AGP came out right befor Win98 did. Win95 was usable for evrything until graphics laden games required large amounts of memory. Thats where AGP came into play. Win95 did not support the addressing required by AGP cards. Your "testing" will come up fine. The crashes happen when the AGP card attempts to access system memory. As I stated Win95 does not support AGP. You state that you never had a problem before. that maybe but unfortunatly to take FULL advantage of AGP you need an OS that FULLY supports it. Win98 is your best option.

Also I need to restate what I said about Win95 not supporting AGP. Win 95 Does not FULLY support it. The card is supported fine its the bus for memory (system) access that it has some problems with. MS officially did not release a patch for it. BUT I believe SYSTEM manufacturers were given a patch to keep them happy. This could explain why it worked for you before. Now if it does not work now you can see if the Manufacturer has the patch. Unfortunatly I dought they do from your brief discription of their lack of ability (you did not state that, I grabbed that from what you stated. Them telling you the TNT2 is not a 3D card and the fact that being a system builder they should know about any patches and tehy dont led me to that conclusion.)

If you need more let me know. I suggest Win98, You will have less headaches that way. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Win95 had no support for AGP for users. The above statement is true as far as I know. You will have to go with Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Pro. Good Luck!

OK, latest story. Installed win98 on new 40 gig HD. Played a 3d that would never work on new or old card and It works!. Thanks for all the help.
New problem though, my sound card can't find drivers. I've tried removing audio device from device manager. reboot, computer looks for new drivers. I feel I have the drivers needed but computer won't except them. Odd thing, according to gateway packing slip, I have an Esoniq PCI wavetable sound card and the card in my PCI slot has Esoniq, but when I boot up my computer finds Creative Lab Sound Blasster Audio PCI 64V. I have tried installing both drivers that it ask for. Another odd thing is that when I use Gateway update, it tells I need to update Sound Blaster PCI 64v, I do and It tell me I don't have that card. Could it be the update is sensing my driver. If that is true then why is that same driver on my win95 setup.

Update! If anyone is still interested. I placed sound drivers in folder on desktop and told driver update to look there. why it couldn't find in else where, I don't know.
Just another typical day with me and computers. New problem. Everything was set up just as I wanted it. next step was to backup system but was waiting for e-mail address' to add to my e-mail. So I installed a game, or actually a copy of one. It asked me to boot my system, computer shuts down and comes back with an error message of "operating system missing" or someting close to that. My first thought was a disk in A: drive. Second a virus, so I ran McAfee boot disk and it found nothing. I put in 98 boot disk and it mentioned option about virus, not being partitioned correctly or something had rewritten bios.I checked virus. I did partioned(If I didn't, would my OS even boot up?). Third that i ran a Fdisk other than windows. I ran my Maxtor set up disk at this time and it was unable to locate my HD. So I back to my old drive. Additional questions. Is it possible to get and transfer a virus on a CD?. Could I have burned out my drive somehow and what are symptoms? Thanks

Time has gone by! Learning a little each day. Different day same stuff. When playing games, system runs a little slow, choppy(hard to move charactor about screen) or crashes(freezes at a point in game). Everything remains same as before except I now have 256mb memory. What causes this?

Glad you've got this far, and are not having too many problems.
There may be something we can do to help the system slow-down, but first things first, what type of game are you referring to - give us some names please, as some have known specific issues.
Regards,
Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Hired Team Trial (freezes 30 seconds into game, always).
Carnivores 2 (same).
Alice (same).
Sprint car racing (same).

Deux Ex (works fine!).
Half Life (fine).

Red Faction (worked fine for awhile, now, always freezes).

Metal of Honor (works great, slow sometimes).

Before playing I shut down what I can on task bar.
I always go to internet options, delete files, off line files too. As well I delete cookies and run ad-ware.

Still have problem. Anything requiring 3d locks-up after 30 seconds. Would a fan on video card help?. Any suggestions on a replacement card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back