Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3com switch freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpmace

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
US
I have a 3com 3c16735b 16 port unmanaged switch on a small network connecting 21 computers and other test equipment. Frequently the switch freezes up and brings down the network (no pinging). All LED's are lit solid but the alert LED is not lit. Recycling power on switch fixes everything. I've monitored network traffic using Ethereal and it is definitely not a bandwidth issue. There are some broadcasts going on but nothing that seems excessive. I was able to borrow a Cisco switch and it works flawlessly (hasn't frozen yet). Any ideas what is causing the switch to freeze up? Could it be insufficient memory or backplane freezing up? I need to recommend a solution but I'm having trouble quantifying the problem.

thanks in advance!

buy another switch that one is a little ou dated.

[upsidedown]

Check the duplex and baud rate settings on your end devices, if you have anything set to half duplex set them to full duplex if possible. Using half duplex can cause memory/buffer issues as the switch has to store the frame in the buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back