Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com Nic Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xceler8

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
I need the drivers for a 3com 3c905b-tx Fast EtherLink XL PCI network card. I have been to the 3Com site and did a search for 3c905b-tx, and it comes up with the correct card. I click on drivers and then downloaded the 2 exe files given. When I install the drivers, they are not the correct ones. I have several machines with these cards in them, and when I go to one that is working and look under Network Adapters in the Device Manager, it says "3com Fast Etherlink XL 10/100mb TX Ethernet NIC (3c905b-tx)".
But after installing the drivers from 3com's site, I get "3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3c905b-tx)". This set of drivers does not work with my existing network card. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

First off....
Is this NIC in a machine that is factory built (ie.. IBM, Dell, etc)? If that is the case, I would suggest going to their site and trying to pull the drivers from there.

If not, then what OS are you running and I might be able to provide some more support.

hahaha This machine happens to be from a small company that is now out of business. So, getting anything from them would be kinda tough to do.

This machine is also running Windows95. Yes, I know, a wee bit old, but this is for a school system, so you know how big of tightwads schools are. Anyways, appreciate your help!

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c90x/3c90x1.exe

I see no reason that this driver shouldn't work with your NIC. This is the drivers that say they are for your card. (These have worked for me with all of my 3c905 card variations that I have) Also, I haven't needed 2 downloads, just his one.

Hope this helps

Is the nic integrated into the motherboard? I saw a few seperate drivers for integrated 3com nics on other sites. I would imagine that the drivers off of 3com's site would still work though.

Some of them are and some aren't..... They are still 3Com 3C905*** though....

These are not integrated NICS. I'm going to try another NIC from another machine that is working fine and see what happens. Gonna try another PCI slot as well. I'll get back to you on the results.

Well, I switched out cards with a known good one, and it did the same thing. So I switched to a different PCI slot and everything came through slick as snot on a door knob. I put the old card back in and it works like a jewel as well. Appreciate all the help and comments Curry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back