Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3COM NIC & SWITCH PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We've been experiencing data corruption with our accounting department's software program. After contacting the software vendor we were told that they have had similar problems with 3COM nics and their program, running
on 100 Mbs switches.
We are using this model 3Com NIC's: 3C905B-TX-NM
and are using Cisco Catalyst 3524 switches...

Has anyone heard anything about this compatibility issue?

Are both the NIC and switch set to 100MB/Full Duplex?
We've seen these types of problems when both the NIC and switch are set to "Auto-Detect". (I work at a Internet Hosting provider in Seattle.)
Once the switch and NIC were both set to 100/Full, the connectivity problems went away, and throughput performance actually inreased a bit. Anyway, something to check

We have experienced exactly the same thing, are you by change running the accounting software called MAS90?
Have you solved the problem yet? We were told that Intel
nics are happier with Catalyst 3524 switches.

We are experiencing the same issues. We are running MAS90 Client/Server on Dell Machines (3com NICs) connected to Cisco 3548 and 3524 switches. Currently only the servers (Dell w/Intel NICs) are hard coded to 100/FULL.

We experience sporatic connection issues and have not been able to pin them down.

Are you runnin a novell client as well by any chance?
If you are, I can help you. If not, your best bet is to try hard coading your 3com cards to full duplex and 100.

Let us know.

Thank god I no longer use Mas90. I've got gray hair from Mas90. Last time I checked they had a SQL version out.

We are running MAS 90 version 3.4 on a Novell 3.2 network. Our workstations (a combination of Windows 95,98,and 2000)use the Microsoft client for Netware networks. Our network
cards are 3COM 3C905B-TXNM and the switch is a Catalyst WS-3524-XL-EN. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I recently ran into a similiar problem with Dell Optiplex workstations and Cisco Cat3548's. We would get intermittent connection issues. After looking around a little, it seems that the Win2000 DHCP server was handing out duplicate addresses. Very strange. After doing some searching, it seems that there is a known problem between 3com 3c905 NIC's and Cisco Cat 3500's. Known problems are DHCP related issues. This was confirmed by Cisco TAC. The documented solution is to upgrade the 3com NIC driver to 4.1 or later. By the way, the 3com 3c920 NIC's Dell uses is nothing more than an integrated 3c905 thus would be prone to the same problems. Hope this helps someone out there.

We have experienced a similar situation with a Dell Dimension 2100 that has a CNET Pro200WL NIC. I had to set both the NIC and the switch port to 100/full. It was having connectivity issues when set at auto.

I am facing a problem in my 3com switch in my organization. The switch is 24 port 100PS port. It was working fine. Now my network system are not inter pinging. If i connect through a 16 port hub then all the systems connected in the hub is working fine. But the same is not happening in case of switch.

My colleque is telling that it is probs with the switch. But i dont aggree with this.Still 4 systems are working fine when connected with switch.But others are not working.

Can any one give the problem solution.I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Ra.Balasubramanian
Open Software Technologies
Delhi.
Mail id : Hari_balu@rediffmail.com

It's pretty well documented, (but not by 3Com or Cisco), that there are compatibility issues with Cisco kit and 3Com NIC cards.
We have replaced all the 3Com cards we were using on our servers and replaced them with Intel Pro100's. They are double the price, but a lot less hassle. No problems have been reported since.
M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back