Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3com NIC 3c905 install assistance please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjdobs

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
CA
I am installing a 3c905 into openserver 5.0.5. ... I downloaded the driver and have it ready to install. Could someone please fill in the blanks ... the 3com installation instructions indicate after the driver is installed the new device driver needs to be invoked ... I would assume there is an existing driver for the 10 Base T NIC and that maybe all I need to do is point the new driver to the LAN services? Or do I need to build a new kernel?

In the MS world the network config dialogs alow us to add protocols, services and clients ... scoadmin looks like it has potential to do everything required except it gives me display errors when working from Tiny Term Plus ... does it require X-Windows? Maybe I should be doing this from the system consol?

Could someone please guide me to either documents where it explains this process to an old DOS Man or possibly point me in the general direction as to what needs to be done.

Thanx

I don't know about your tiny term errors but you can certainly do this from the console. From the root command line prompt type netconfig. This will start SCO Admin network configuration manager but bypasses any other functions. Or start SCO Admin from the command line and navigate to Networks. The menu bar will have two entries Hardware and Protocol and you should see your nic listed in the box below. If not, hightlight Hardware, touch the down arrow and choose Add new.... The rest should be self explanatory. If you have already added the nic, touch tab and use the arrow keys to highlight the listing of your nic. Then press enter and notice that there is an * next to the listing. Touch tab to get back the menu bar. With Hardware highlighted touch the down arrow and choose Modify... Make sure you specify the type of cable being used, in item 3. If I remember correctly, SCO cannot autosense the 3c905.

scoadmin needs for your "TERM" variable to be set correctly.
What emulation is Tiny Term using?
The driver that you downloaded and have "ready" to install, is it a "custom" media image or does it have its' own installation script?

You would run netconfig (or scoadmin->network) after installing the driver. Any significant changes in netconfig will require a kernel rebuild and system reboot.

In answer to Stanhubble ... I am using the latest version of TT and have tried wyse60, wyse60-25, ans scoansi ... the driver sets up a VOL.000.000 and is required to be installed via scoadmin.

Question to SteveS815; does it make any difference which variation of 3c905? This variation is a new card which has wake up and network management features (not like we needed these)

Login as root. You get a # sign. Type in: custom
Navigate to: software
Navigate to new
Navigate to: "name of you server" (your first choice)
Navigate to: media volumne
Type the directory where you have downloaded youre driver (VOL.000.000).
Navigate to: OK
The driver will be installed and you are asked to rebuild the kernel. Do so.
Exit custom
Reboot your system
Start netconfig
Add new LAN
Choose youre card
Cooose youre protocol, most likely TCP/IP
Let the system rebuild youre kernel
Restart.

Regards, wjterst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search