Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com Network Card Not Recognized in SCO 5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemama613

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2003
US
I built a backup system with same components as my main, and Ghost-ed the hard drive as well. Everything boots fine, with a few minor glitches, however the boot up is obvious looking for the 3Com card which it says it can not find. The bios of the machine knows its there because I see it in the bios boot up. Is it a possibility that the hardware settings are different in the new machine, and it is looking for it in the wrong place? Would it help to boot the machine, uninstall it in netconfig, and then reinstall it? If I do that, how do I know what hardware settings to use (function, device ID, etc.)?

Joe

Take a look at the output of this command:
hw -r pci

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV,

Thanks for the help. However, here is another problem. The output of the "hw" command tell me that the 3COM card is device #19. When I go into "netconfig" to reconfigure the device, and I go to device number, the table only goes up to 15!! What do I do now?

Thanks,
Joe

Have you tried to move the 3Com card in another PCI slot ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV,

Yes, unfortunately there are only two PCI slots in this computer altogether. The other slot reported it as Device #18, and this slot, as I have said, reports it as #19. Any thing else I can do or try?
Thanks,

JOe

Have you tried physically removing the card, remove the card from netconfig and then re-link then reboot on a kernel that doesn't have a NIC configured and start fresh with the NIC install.

Ghosting seems to be a no-no with SCO, I've not come across a successful Ghost yet.

Thanks much! I did not go quite that far though. It seems that all I had to do was uninstall it, relink, thatn re-install it (it was then recognised with the proper device number), and re-link once again. THANKS AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back