Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com Ethernet III ISA (3C509B) not being recognize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
Hello there!

I'm very new with linux, and i currently installed Caldera's OpenLinux 2.4, now everything seems to be ok, but I can't seem to connect to the company's LAN, I configured the "Ethernet Interface Configuration" (located at KDE Control Center -> COAS -> Network), I input all the necessary address and it gives me the ff errors:

Error when executing command ip-config change eth0
the command produced the following output:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
SIOCADDRT: Network is down
eth0: initialization failed

I'm guessing, OpenLinux doesn't recognize my ethernet card (3Com Ethernet III ISA (3C509B)), is there a "driver" for this? and how do i install it? is it basically the same as windows?

Thanks for any suggestion

Hi,

The driver is '3c509' and its almost certainly already sitting in the correct place, i.e. /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/3c509.o .

(Where 2.4.2 above is your actual kernel version - enter the command 'uname -r' if you're not sure what kernel you have)

So, you don't need to install any more drivers - just configure the card. Do as you did before but I think you have to press 'new device' in the "Ethernet Interface Configuration" to find where to choose the driver - there should be an option to use 3c509. You can also use 'lisa' from the command prompt for Caldera configuration. Fairly obviously, you must also make sure you give the eth0 an IP address / mask (unless you're using a DHCP server for dynamic config of course).

I should say that the 3c509B is apparently a little tricky at times versus other 3c509 cards. Try to disable 'plug and play operating system' in your PC's bios and see it the bios configures it on boot. Otherwise, you may need to pass parameters to the module (i.e. driver) when it loads or to the kernel at boot time.

Regards

Actually I did everything you mentioned, but it didn't do the trick, it might be the actual card, anyways, i just replace with a 3C905-TX, unloaded the previous module, and loaded a new one, and its working now.

Thanks for the reply though, really appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back