Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com 3c905c tx driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBodge

Programmer
Oct 18, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I think I must be doing something wrong here, Ive downloaded both the 3c905x1 and 3c905x2 files from the 3Com site which it says contains the 3c905c drivers for Win 2000 Pro but Windows does'nt recognise any of the files they contain as having the OEMSETUP file!

Anybody know where I am going wrong?

LeBodge

Didn't say previous this is a driver for a network card - still don't understand why it doesn't work

Yes, says it wants to install a ethernet driver and when you point it to the files 3c905x1 and 3c905x2 says it can't find a driver for this device??

LeBodge.

Said by LaBodge, "Yes, says it wants to install a Ethernet driver and when you point it to the files 3c905x1 and 3c905x2 says it can't find a driver for this device??"

As I understand it, when you point to the name of the card that it suggests, it then cannot find the driver for the device. Is that correct?

If that is true, there are some things you might try. First, what type of card is it (i.e. expansion card or on board)?

Have you actually taken the card out and looked at the markings to insure that it is the exact card that you think? That is the best way to insure that you are attempting to install the correct drivers. (If you take the card out, be careful to ground yourself to the computer.

If it is an expansion card, make sure the card is fully inserted into the slot! That can cause problems.

You might also want to remove the device (which should have an exclamation mark beside it), and reboot

said by browolf, "have you extracted the files from the two 3c905x? files"

I agree with that!

If you have a modem, an a dialup service, you can go to
"Windows Update" and see if it is among the drivers that Microsoft wants to install.

I've got it sorted now, turns out W2K thought it was looking for a different driver, uninstalled that, removed card, rebooted,closed down, installed card and it got the right one first time!!!!!

Thanks once again all

LeBodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back