Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3COM 3300 Keeps power off. Its it faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2000
GB
I have a 24 port 3COM 3300 (3C16980) which keeps powering off intermittently. The longest I've had it running is 1 hour. Generally it keeps powering off after 2 mins or so. I guess it must be an overheating problem but can't seem to find any hot components inside.

I was going to fit a 3com 1100 PSU to see if that could fix it but the wiring is slightly different.

Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

Leonard

Don't open the unit! send it back to 3com it has a limited lifetime war.

Are you serious? I have a 3300 that keeps freezing up... I'd pay the shipping back to 3COM if they will repair it!

yea ive sent many back and got many new in box even upgraded units, no problems! take advantage of this i am.
[upsidedown]
Systron

I have had the same problem. 3Com used three different vendors for their power supplies. One is more prone to
failing than the others. You might be able to purchase
a replacement P/S from if they have
any.

paul

The 3300s also have problems when you have mixed firmware in your stacks. I had a problem using 2.60/2.61/2.69 amongst the switches. Units would stop forwarding traffic or reboot without warning. The only easy fix was a power cycle. After updating all of my 3300s to 2.70 I have had no issues. (Knock on wood!)

BTW, I have also returned several devices to 3Com with no hassle getting a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back