Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com 3300 - is it busted or can I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linmatt

Technical User
May 22, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Sorry - put this in as a reply to another thread by accident. DOH!

Have been given a 3Com 3300 24-port switch (3C16980), but I'm getting all the port lights on except 2 - varies between port 1 and port 3 - both green and orange flashing, and all the unit lights on. Looking at the online documentation I presume this means it's knackered. I can't log onto it using the serial port, it's not registering on the LAN. I don't have a Matrix cable and we generally use Cisco switched here so no-one else will have one either. I have one other of these switches but it's a 12-port and want to swap it out for this one. Be a shame to have to bin it but I don't want to spend lots of money getting it fixed.

Any ideas?

Matt

Matt, I believe that all 3Com switches come with a life time warranty. I ship my bad ones out all the time and they send me a new one at no cost. You may want to check this out.

I have worked with many 3Com switches of model 3c16980, and
every time I see the Leds as you describe, I find that the circuit board is bad. You could try forcing a load of the opcode thru the console port using a Null Modem cable, ProComm, and 3com's serial port utility; but I don't think it will do you any good.

paul

I've managed to get it to work at last - I downloaded the latest software (Sept 04) and the update tool - and figuring I had nothing to loose - ran the update. I didn't expect it to work with the serial port not responding. It took about 20 minutes but it's come back up fine. it's running on a soak test with some servers attached to it in a not-too important DMZ, been ok for about a week now. I have a 12-port that it's due to replace and then I'll upgrade that one as well.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll bear them in mind too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back