Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3com 1000 password reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottperk

MIS
Jul 28, 2002
US
I just bought a 3com 1000 switch from an auction and the indiviual that I have bought it from is not sure of the password is. So I am trying to get the swith back to factory defaults. Does any one know how to set it back to factory default with OUT the admin password? I have tried the 3comcso trick with no luck...

Scott

hi

i have been trying to crack my superstack 2 switch 3000 for a couple of weeks. as far as i can find out, there is no way other than brute force or somehow dumping out the prom.

you can change the ip addresses by hitting the reset button twice, spaced by about 4 seconds.

i connected via a null modem cable and have been feeding it dictionaries in a crack program i wrote. it will make a telnet connection over any port, but all access via telnet has been disabled on this box. brute force cracking has problems but is doable. periodically, the echo rate on the username field slows down from 19.2 to about 300. this makes my program overrun, requiring a restart. however, i think the previous owner made good passwords (not in dictionary). probably yours still has the monitor/monitor combination for read only. you can pick up a lot from the monitor info. don't forget the manual (3com site).

in the end, since the ports all auto-configure (10/100) it is entirely usable. you just can't get to the security features.

let me know if you make progress.

dave mallery

scottperk

have you found a solution to your problem. I have the same problem. I would love to be able to access my 3com Linkswitch 1000 but I have had no luck whatsoever. I you have had success I would greatly appreciate knowing what you did. Thanks

hi

sorry, but i guess the previous owner made good passwords.

i think it is really stupid of 3com to make it so difficult to get in. units bought at auction have no contact possible with the previous owner. a reset that requires physical access (reset button) would really be quite secure.

however, the box works just fine for my purposes since it does auto-select between 10base and 100base.

i will talk to my friend who might be able to crack the prom.

i just don't have the time for an exhaustive re-write of my cracker program to get around the periodic slowdown.

i will also go to the auction this weekend and ask others who buy them what they do.

be well

dave

Here is a nifty trick I found under another thread. It worked perfectly:

Upgrade the firmware. If you push the reset button then wait 3 seconds and push again, you get the sw upgrade prompt. From then you can use the 3comcso/RIP000 followed by the admin/blank user/pass sequence. You can then do an initialise option and get back to the security/security user/pass.

hi derPapst

did you actually have to upload the firmware? is that done via ftp from another machine?

i have been to that menu (used it to change the ip address, etc) but no further.

i'd appreciate a bit more detail.

danke

dave

i have 3com isdn modem , and i forgot my password that is protected now......i want to open my modem ,so plz help me how to open my modem .....phone port is also disable...so unable to reset it plz help me ....at---netsolution4u@sify.com

Hi, I just bought this 3com 1000 and the last owner seemed to have messed up the console settings (its not 2400 8N1) and I cannot get console up. Is there a way of resetting it so at least I could get in?

TIA

Hi !

Still I got similar probs ...

I´ve an 3com Superstack II 9300 2-LX/10-SX (3C93011) SWITCH.

My Problem is: I could not login to reconfigure. My pal is walk out around the world and the 3com-support is over, because the machine was bought from 2001, and it´s to old since registration (just 2-year-free-support-help).
They gave me the offer to pay lot of money for help me here. - No thanks ! I haven´t !

Here are all my tried backdoors w/o effect (used serial-console):

adm/(none)
admin/synnet
admin/admin
admin/(blank)
admin/nopass
debug/synnet
write/synnet

... always "incorrect password" !
--------------
and:

root/(blank)
root/manger
security/(blank)
security/security
manager/manager
recover/recover
tech/tech
monitor/monitor
3comcso/RIP000
force/force

... always ".. is not a valid access level"

and here is NO reset-button on my machine ...

Maybe anyone got a quick idea ?! The delivered handbooks (the customer+admin handbooks) have no details for this case...

Does anyone have any idea or answer ?!

Greetings,

Phil (cloonie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back