Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3C905B-TX card, unable to bind in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaethar

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
US
I'm attemtping to put together a DOS box that has the ability to connect to a samba server on the network. I'm using DOS 6.22 and an old 3COM 3C905B-TX board. I'm also using MSClient 3.0 as downloaded from the MS site, as well as the most recent DOS drivers from 3COM for the card.

Driver install seems to go pretty good. All diagnostics pass, and the card is read and auto-senses link speed and such. However, I am unable to get TCP/IP to work, because the netbind command is continually failing with the following error:

Error: 33 Unable to bind.

Of course, TCP/IP cannot function then. I've tried tweaking the protocol.ini file a little after reading a little bit, but my config seems to be a bit different. In the process of installing the TCP/IP drivers, MSClient asked for the Odinsup.com file. As a result, all my NIC driver references in the protocol.ini file are related to that program. I did specify the driver file under the [ODINSUP] header a couple of different ways, but nothing seemed to help.

So, I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand here. Am I using the right method to connect? I also saw on the MS site a program call Lan Manager.. would that be better to use? It's been a very long time since I've used DOS, so I'm having to try and remember how to do everything now as well.

Any suggestions on where to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have the same problem. Were you able to get your Network boot floppy to run under DOS?

Regards,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back