Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3C16980/5 Matrix vs Port Trunk & Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebzed

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2002
IL
Hi everyone,
i would like to know what is the different between using the Matrix ports than using a a trunk between the switches?
(i have 3 switches connected to each other with matrix).

The other question, is that i am working in an enviroment where there are many broadcasts (nothing to do against it, its our software developers that creates them). and also we have many other hub/switches connected to the main 3com switches (From the small test labs).

Should i enable Spanning?
broadcast storm control ?
and which multicast system is better (IGMP or the 802.1p)?

I am really not switches type guy..., its just i arrive to an office where working with the network is a really hard thing! (all the ports where set on the switch to 10HD...)

Thanks,
Zed.

Ok, the main things to note are.

1. The matrix module and cables create a single stack, i.e you can manage the stack with one IP address.

2. The matrix runs stack wide at around 850Mb across the stack, to get the same bandwidth using trunks, you would have to use around 4 x 100Mbps ports, so in the middle unit you would have to use 8 ports. (Cisco math, 4 x 100Mbps full duplex = 800Mps).

3. If you are using a single link from the stack to the core network, then no STP is required, the same applies if you use Resilient links.

4. IGMP snooping and query mode, this really depends on the multicast being used. I would try turning things on/off to see which gives you the best options. One thing to note is that if you are running IPX then it is sometime better to disable the multicast options.

5. Broadcast control, again you really need to analyse the network to see what the levels are, and then set the switch parameters accordingly, the default settings are basically what is normally seen on networks in general, but if you have different levels you may need to think about this. The other option would be to create a seperate vlan for your group of induh-viduals causing the broadcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back