Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

391A1 to 391A3 Ring Generator Swap 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillusingmerlin

Programmer
Jan 21, 2008
US
I had to replace my 391A1 P/S with a spare 391A3 in order to install my 007 MLM module. Unfortunately, I missed noticing that the 391A1 had a ring generator in it. Then people started saying things like "the fax machine's not answering". Oops...

I thought maybe I could swap the ring generator from the A1 to the A3, but the connections are not labeled the same in both units. In the 391A1, the connectors on the main board are P1 and P2 and that macthes the lablelling on the ring generator.

However, in the 391A3, the main board connectors are labeled P2 and P3. Anyone know if this can be done and if so do I connect P2 on the r.g. to P2 or to P3 on the A3 board?

My 012 cards do not have ring generators in them, so that's not an option.

Connect the P1 cable from the ring generator to P2 on the power supply - and connect the P2 cable from the ring generator to P3 on the power supply.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thanks.

I do have another option: Although I currently have three 012 cards installed, I only need about 7 t/r ports. I found out that I have a spare 012 with an integral ring gen. in it.

I'm thinking it might make more sense to pull all my basic 012's and put in the spare with the ring gen. Then I can put the 391A3 back in and the 007 MLM.

I don't see anyone selling a refurb'ed 391A3 with ring gen's in them. Maybe using the 012 with the ring gen. is considered the "newer" way to do this?

Using the 012 withn the built-in ring generator is the "newer" way. But, if you need more than one 012 module AND you want to use your existing 012 modules - then just swap out the ring generator from the old power supply to the newer 391A3.

If you choose the option to use just one 012 module with the built-in ring generator - remember that you will need to do a "board renumber" - AND - your extention numbering for any modules after the original three 012 modules will get messed up - so you will need to do some reprogramming - unless these three modules were the last ones in your system.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I think I'll go the newer route. We barely need 7 ports ever since the internet killed the modems...

Luckily the only thing beyond the three 012s is the damn 007 MLM which wasn't working yet anyway and I had to pull that when I reverted back to the 391A1.

I have migrated the 7 t/r users onto the first 012. When I pull the three basics and replace the first 012 with the ring gen. version, will I need to do any reprogramming for the t/r extensions? What I mean is, will the Legend see the 012 with ring gen as identical to a basic 012 that used to be in the same slot?

You should do a board renumber - which fill fix the issue of removing two of the 012 Basic modules - and it will rerecognize the newer version of the 012 module. Your voicemail extention numbering will continue on from the "new" 012 module.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thanks. FYI, I'm still waiting to hear the results on the vendor's 007 MLM ticket with Avaya. If he won't send me a new drive, I'll be in touch with you.

It's nice the system remembers a board until you renumber. Seems like that would be helpful in some failure modes where a replacement wasn't handy and you had to bring the system back up w/o the bad module.

Actually, I have to say that overall the Legend is pretty amazing. This one was installed on July 1st, 1992. With the exception of one bad DID port and a processor failure, it has been rock steady. And we've never had a telecomm scenario we couldn't configure the Legend to handle (except for having caller ID on our DID lines which isn't the Legend's fault.) I can't say the same thing about a computer I bought in 1992.

The vendor is going to swap the module. He still maintains Avaya never let them replace the drive, only get a whole new 007 MLM. That seems odd to me considering the removal/installation directions are in the MLM manual as is the re-serialization procedure.

I did manage to get the 391A3 and the the 012 with ring generator installed last night. To be safe, I used WinSPM first to get a backup to somewhere other than flash card. Man, that is sloooowww.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back