Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3903 replaced with a 2616 but no dial tone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nthnu

MIS
Aug 26, 2013
US
Hi, we have a person that has a replacement phone of a different model. They originally had a 3903 headset and their replacement is a 2616. We've set it up exactly like other 2616's on the system but it has no dial tone. Tested the replacement 2616 on another line with a 2616 and it it fine, but plugging any 2616 on the line that the 3903 was on has no dial tone. Do you have any recommendation or things to try? Thanks!

The TN is probably disabled. Do you have date and time? Does the phone flash when you plug it in?

It appears the TN is working, Idle. Nothing happens on 2616, but 3903 is fine.

So does the phone flash the line appearances when you plug it in on the 2616? If it does not then the polarity is reversed.

Nothing happens on the 2616 phones, and had them try a different wires and still nothing.

I know enough to do basic things, but I don't know if what we've done with this is correct.

I did this, and see that from what I can tell, it still shows as an M3903.

> ld 20
REQ: idu 6 6

ARIES TN: 006 0 00 06
TN ID CODE: M3903

NT CODE: NTMN12EC
COLOR CODE: 70
RLS CODE: 01
SER NUM: xxxxx​

Is there a way to easily to change this and go from 3903 to 2616?

So you haven't changed the phone type to a 2616

I thought we had, but appears not to be. What steps would you take to do that?

I've seen M39xx phones plugged into digital sockets that were originally configured for the Aries M2xxx range that did function OK, although some buttons didn't work but I've never had a case where someone has plugged in a M2xxx phone into a configured M39xx port.

Personally, I would delete the M3903 port or shift it to an unused card and provide a proper M2616 configuration and see if this works OK.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

You need to out the phone and reprogram it as a 2616. You cant change the phone type

The IDU command sends a message to whatever is attached to that TN and the response is what is shown on the screen. According to this, you still have a NTMN12EC (M3903, Charcoal, Rls 1) attached to that TN.

Ah ok. I guess that's one thing I don't know. How do you OUT the phone?

I've done ...
LD 20
OUT
6 6
...but it keeps asking for TN

Try

>LD 11
REQ: OUT
TYPE 3903
TN 6 6

If you get any SCH errors, then the phone might belong to a hunt group or be monitored etc and that needs to be done first before you remove it.

Please refer to the attached link. It's old but should help you out.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

KCFLHRC (TechnicalUser) 27 Oct 16 16:19

You need to out the phone and reprogram it as a 2616. You cant change the phone type

This is correct for digital sets. For IP sets you can perform a chgtyp. As usual the warning to never modify an ACD set using this command is strongly warranted.

Wanebo, both the 3903 and the 2616 are digital sets and KCFLHRC is correct. I am not sure why you would want to confuse others by throwing that tidbit of info out there that has nothing to do with this scenario. It just causes confusion imo.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back