Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3903 phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

khail

Technical User
Nov 16, 2005
US
I am thinking of integrating 3903s into my phone system. While I was reading up on them, I noticed it said that the 3903 supports up to 4 lines. Does this mean that after I program key 00 for the DN, I can only program 3 more SCN/SCR DNs on the phone? I didn't understand what that meant. Could someone clarify this for me.

Hi,
M3903 has only 2keys x 2pages = 4 programable keys.
If you need more, use M3904 with 6x2=12 keys (if necessary also with AddOn modules)

Regards

I believe the AOM will also work on a 3903, but I have never tried to add one. The interface is there.

Scott M.

we've made the decision system wide to go with the 3904's, the price difference for rebuilt sets is just over 20 bucks. we are now adding all new sets with the 3904's.. giving up on the 2616's and the 2008's. but with over 2000 digital sets, it may take a while before we get there

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The AOM won't work on 3903's - there's no connector for it on the phone.

A word of caution on the 3903's and 3904's - they've been very susceptible to overvoltages. We had a transformer fry on a pole at the other end of the complex and eight 3903's fried. This isn't the only time these phones have died like that and I'm looking at going the other direction (2616's) to cut down on my costs.

If it fried your phones, I'm suprised it didn't fry the phone system.

I have had the same problem on the 3903-04 taking the overvoltage hits. Make sure you are fused on the cross-connects. I have never seen a switch put in that was not protected so taking a hit and the chance of it making it to the system is not that common but its just like the wires - it travels both ways. I will agree the 39x series seem to be more sensitive to it than other phones but talk to your vendor on warranty and protections. Take precautions at the end user point - i learned the hard way on replacing blue box elevator phones at $1k a pop.

Rick Smith
French Quarter Resort
IT Director

I'm protected every which way but loose, but the 3903's seem to be very sensitive - they die to save the protectors from being damaged. :) I only have three 3904's and none of those have died, so I can't tell (and don't want to find out) if they're overly sensitive too. I've lost two ports on a card from hits too, but the only time I ever lost an entire card was just after the PBX was put in - that was a grounding issue and covered by warranty, so I didn't have to pay for it.

Considering the cost of 3903's and their demonstrated sensitivity (at least at this site) I'm thinking 2616's might be better for new adds (about 60 in the next 2 or 3 months) and replacements for any more 3903's that die. Any comments?

btw, new cards are not covered by warranty if the switch was not grounded right. i am thinking you may still have a frounding issue. we lose maybe 4 phones a month that did not get drop tested or given a cup of coffee, and we have 1000's of digital sets in remote buildings on both copper and fiber. might rethink the switch grounds. make sure the isolated ground is just that, that one connects to the internal ground inside the poswer supply, the external cabinet ground can be daisy chained and needs power ground as well as earth ground.. the isolated needs to run back to an isolated ground bus inside the main breaker panel, make sure that bus is isolated.. with both of those right, you want see that problem.. is the set dies before a low voltage gas protector, also check the earth ground on that bus. with a solid ground there, it's a high dollar bridge clip... if your in an opt 11, grounds just need the normal power ground and an earth ground to the ground lug

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

How about 2616CT does anyone know who reliable these phones are? Thanks for the replies.

not to many of those sold due to a bad early rls, i have never met a nortel digital set that i found just a bad choice since the 2317

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Solid state protectors throughout. SBC was the original installer and didn't check grounds well (we had 4-1/2 amps coming in from the telco alone) so they paid for the zapped cards & phones. We ran #6 directly to the mains panels because of voltage potential between multiple grounds.

Our prior PBX was a Tadiran and we had zero problems with dead phones other than drop tested or caffeined sets - I doubt I replaced two a year.

Steve Harmon
Greenfield, Indiana

tadiran was a pretty solid box in it's time.. are you in an opt 11 cab? and somewhere in the building are all your grounds bonded?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back