Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3902 disabled & out of options to get it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

EileenF

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2009
US
Hi All - first time poster

Have a 3902 phoneset attached to Nortel CS1000E. It was in a disabled state this morning during LD32 check. Display on 3902 was blank, not even date/time. So far, I've tried the following without success:

1. DISU & ENLU commands - display area still blank
2. Swapped phoneset & RJ11 cord - still blank
3. Moved cross connects to 2nd voice jack in same cubicle - still blank
4. Changed TN - found phone had solid lights on MWI, Mute, Spkr, Options & Trans keys and display area rolling characters furiously (never saw that before).
5. Unplugged/plugged phone - same as #4 above
6. Swapped phoneset again - same as #4
7. Moved cross connect to voice jack in different cubicle - blank display area.
8. Used tone generator at new voice jack & got solid tone to closet.
9. Deleted and rebuilt phoneset - still no display.

I'm at a loss on what else can be done. Luckily, affected user is cool with loss of phone.

Thank you!

It could be that the wiring is wrong and is using a different pair (that is VERY annoying) because you can get power to the phone but no signalling (such as your solid light on MWI). You can also plug the phone into a known working port (someone else's cube) and make sure the phone is actually working properly :)

Key in FSUM ALL

The system will output all the m39xx phones that are connected.

Look for your set. If you see 000 at the end instead of e.g. 052, then the firmware update has failed.

Also in LD 32, enter in IDU (TN) to see if the phone is present.

If the phone is listed with "000", then try the command FDLF TNB

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thank you Tman45 & FBird - I will try this tomorrow. For now, the user is content with the status quo. I set him up with desktop MyCallPilot to view/listen to messages thru his PC.

4. Changed TN - found phone had solid lights on MWI, Mute, Spkr, Options & Trans keys and display area rolling characters furiously (never saw that before)."

Check that you are NOT plugged into an analog circuit. The rolling displays can be a symptom of this.

You have not said that you have tried plugging straight into your PBX distribution frame. This would be of help as well (with the line isolated from the building wiring).

That symptom suggests you are possibly plugged into an Analogue Port/TN

check you wiring and the 3902 phone direct on the Patch/MDF Frame

If not try Disabling and Reseating 'Digital Line Card'
if you can swap it around with a worker, ulitimately you may then have a bad 3902 ?

Cheers!!

Yep sorry I didn't mention that you could be attached to an analog port - figured you would know if your TN was analog or not :) You need a digital TN for your 3902 to work. Good call DFK and SL1M1 - hope that is it instead of the wrong wiring or other crazy scenario.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did use a digital port and in desperation this morning, I deleted phoneset and rebuilt using a 3rd TN. This time it worked. I suspected a bad TN port originally, but didn't imagine the 2nd port I selected would also be bad. Thanks again!

BAH! I forgot to mention possible bad TN port!! NICE! Gotta love 'bad' ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back