Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

36GB 7.2K drives spinning up and down on FC5600

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybercray

Technical User
May 24, 2006
I have original EMC labeled drives part nr. PN005045719, 36GB 7.2K. I use a FC5600 with Flare 5.11.53 and Prom 3.21.
When i insert this drives and start the FC5600 the drives will spin up and down 10 to 20 times, and at the end the drives are not recognized. The FCLI shows PWR during spin up and down and after some time EMP in the output of the sp command.

The drives are ok, because they worked well in a FC5400.
The FC5600 is also ok, because it works well with other drives, like 36GB 10k types.

I consulted the EMC Disk and FLARE OE Matrix, and the combination of this disks, FLARE/Prom and FC5600 is officially supported.

Thank you for any help !

The only far-fetched theory I can come up with is that you are swapping in drives 0,1 and 2 as part of your procedure and they have the wrong flare for the storage processor you are using. You are able to get to fcli, so, there is some functionality but, not enough to get the drives running.

So, that would be my question, are you swapping in drives 0 thru 2 from the 5400 and then powering up your 5600?

The drives 0-2 are not from the 5400, but are working Flare drives from the 5600. This are 36GB 10k drives. They spin up properly and the Flare is booted and i get the fcli prompt. I have already looked around in the settings in fcli and also in the Prom monitor, but have no clue what to change to bring the 36GB 7.2k drive to work ?

I have now checked different configurations:
- drive 0-2 are the 36GB10k drives with flare for the 5600
- drives 3-9 are the 36GB7.2k drives
Conclusion: drive 0-2 are spinning up, flare is booted and i get the fcli. drives 3-9 are spinned up and down a few times and are not recognized.

- drive 0-9 are the 36GB10k drives. 0-2 have the flare for the 5600
- drives 10-19 are the 36GB7.2k drives
Conclusion: drive 0-9 are spinning up, flare is booted and i get the fcli. drives 0-9 are recognized and can be configured in navisphere.
drives 10-19 are spinned up and down a few times and are not recognized.

Maybe i need a special Flare version ? Maybe even an older one ?

Today i realized, that the SP of the 5600 is shown as FC5600C and not FC5600 on the boot output ?

Dump question: Does the FC5600 support different drive types in the same system, for example mixing of 36GB 10k and 36GB 7.2k drives ?

FC5600C is a capped version of the flare allowing you to only have 30 drives total on the box.

So, what does the sp error log say?

is the 5600 clean? By that I mean, no arrays defined? If the database drives still hold a configuration when you install the new drives, it may react by continually trying to bring the array that is supposed to be there on line.

It makes no sense if the disks are qualified and they work on the 5400. They should work on the 5600 as well.

The error log shows some (CRU Type Unsupported) and (CRU Powered Down) messages. But otherwise the log looks ok.

It seems to me, that this Flare and or Prom does not support this drive type ? Or maybe the drives do not have the correct Firmware on it ?

The other possibility is that the IBM drives can not be used together with Seagate drives. I have 3 Seagate drives as Flare drives in the system, because i don't have a flare on the IBM drives.

I have never seen an issue with Seagte and IBM drives together in the same Clariion. Cru type unsupported is telling us that there is a problem with Flare recognizing those disks as supported devices. You might want to physically check the drives and be sure of what you have. They should be IBM DRHL36L drives with code 2247. Since they work in the 5400 and not in the 5603, I would assume the drives are the correct type but one never knows. I presume that we aren't dealing with a non-standard Clariion config (something where the drives are formatted at 512 bytes /sector instead of the 520 we expect? That would mean that the 5400 or the 5603 is running in an oem environment of sime kind. Which of the Clariions are new to your environment? You might want to run the setcontrol command in fcli to verify what the 'Type' and other settings are.

The drives are the IBM DRHL-36L OEM types. I don't know the firmware code, and have not found it on the disk label. The disks are in the original EMC caddys that are labeled with the 36GB/7.2k and serial number info.
I have read somewhere in an old support bulletin board, that IBM and seagate drives can not be used in the same system. The Seagate drives were of the 9GB type and the IBM drives the same DRHL-36L.
I believe now this is also true with the newer Seagate drives that i'm using.

I have already tried the different system types with the FCLI o command, but it didn't help.

I think i need the help of someone who is willing to put FLARE code on 3 of my IBM drives, so that i can start the FC5400 or FC5600 with the IBM drives. If anybody has a running FC5400 or FC5600 with the IBM DRHL-36L and can FLARE 3 of my drives, please help.

Here is some output from different commands in FCLI on the FC5400. (It has only Seagate drives plugged in at the moment)
fcli> ctr
RAID Controller Configuration:
System Type: 3
Restrict drives: OFF
RAID 3 Enabled: OFF
Stats Logging: OFF
System Config Reg: 0003
Auto format enabled: OFF
Soft Addressing: ON
Display page size: 22
fcli> sp
SP A LOOP ID 0x0 (0.)