Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3641's, AVPP, and a HUGE headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingTHIS

Programmer
Aug 23, 2012
US
Hello,
Tried deploying (5)3641's on IPO 9.0.5 this weekend. I've been through all the posts, all the manuals, and I'm very aware of what a pain these things are. I'm using the latest software/firmware builds available on the AVPP, 3641's, and the HAT Tool.

AVPP:
SVP Type: 010
Hardware Versions: 33/02
Factory Page: 213.001
Downloader: 71.005
Table of Contents: 173.040
Functional Code: 174.040
File System: 175.040

3641's:

HAT Tool:

Customer's AP is a Cisco AIR-SAP2602i-A-K9, and according to the Avaya doc's, this is compatible.

He is using these settings:

Security: WPA2-Personal
Encryption: AES 256 bit with TKIP

We've tried all settings possible just about, and no matter what we do, these phones will not recognize the AP's. Connecting with laptops and smart phones works every time with the AP's. We also tried configuring a phone manually, bypassing the HAT Tool, just to exhaust all possible snags. Phone boots and goes immediately to "No APs", regardless of what we try.

The main problem we are having, and I can't seem to get around it, is the "Static PSK(Pre Shared Key hex mode)" field is demanding a 64 character entry. This doesn't seem correct to me. Plus, just for fun we tried entering a 64 character key but the Cisco AP indicates that the max is 63 characters(of course). Even if we change it to "Pass Phrase", it is still requiring us to enter a 64-character PSK.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.

Have you tried WPA or WEP? Have you tried going unsecured just to see if you can connect? A 64 byte WPA passprase is treated as encoded HEX so that is a problem. Hence the 63 byte key which is used to distinguish a 64 bit PSK with a 63 character passphrase. WPA2 with PSK is really more suitable for a home environment or a free WIFI setting. Youd' be fine with WEP. I've used it with the AVPP and the Aironet APs.

I've had issues when programming the sets. I manually did it from the phones, I had to factory default the settings and then it magically worked sometimes, I've had weird things when initially programming the sets. Like they won't connect, or kinda connect, but not grab a DHCP address, even statically assigning the values would yield "No AVVP server" even though I had it programmed in there correctly, and then if I changed the security settings to something made up, and then went back to reprogram the exact same correct security settings they would suddenly work. The good news is, once I had it programmed they never gave the customer any problems.

I had something similar with an HP based system. try setting the 802.11 config setting to G only rather than "b&b/g mixed"
They would NOT connect when set to B&G mixed mode.

New England Communications

This solution is crap and old and not of this century anymore.
I really do not understant why Avaya isn't using the Ascom Wifi versions like with IPDect.
Much much much easier to implement and the quality is even better.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Ascom is supported and documented. You will find docs about configuring i62h with IPO and optionally with Avaya WLAN components. I have three handsets at a customer site that wait to get configured with IPO and WLAN 8100. I think I will skip Identity Engines for these handsets ;-)

Thanks everyone for the incite. I'm trying to schedule a time to go back to troubleshoot again. I'll post any successes!

4th and long, so they did the wise play and punted. They scrapped the whole thing and just ordered the SIP D100/160 solution. I've never implemented these but they have to be better than 3641/AVPP. Thanks again to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back